Home > Trip Reports > Roosevelt 1/27/12

Roosevelt 1/27/12

1/15/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by niko on 1/28/12 7:23am
Yesterday was a day to take advantage of. I headed solo for Chair Peak basin to check the snow/avy conditions--there were some crust rumors€”skinning was very good so I followed a nice track up the East shoulder of Chair Peak, booted the last 100 feet up the shoulder and dropped into the large bowl NE of Chair Peak toward Snow Lake: good consolidated-powder skiing, traces of crust only, occasional chunks of ice under the latest few inches of powder. At the lake I considered going to Mt Roosevelt, which had been one of my hypothetical targets, but being solo decided to play it safe and headed back enjoying the gorgeous day. I had started skinning up the gully that leads out of Snow Lake when I ran into a skier and a boarder headed for Roosevelt, and they kindly invited me to join their team. So we formed a triple alliance of which I was the main beneficiary being much older and less skillful. Victor, a nimble Frenchman, led the way up the steep gully leading to the notch between Roosevelt and Kaleetan; Jake, an Englishman, and myself (no Russian, despite my reference to the triple entente) followed. The last couple of hundred feet had to be booted in fairly consolidated powder; there was heavier crust and rime at the very top of Roosevelt. Fantastic views from the top€”wish I were a better photographer. Skiing back was exquisite despite some sluffage which warranted caution€”and tired ancient legs. As I was skinning back (last) out of Snow Lake disaster struck: one of my skins got iced and detached, I knelt down to fix it, and the ski took off. (I€™ve had a wayward ski before but I don€™t learn from experience so I never bought leashes.) I was near the top of that slope so I knew I might have to chase it all the way down to the lake€”in deep powder€”and would be lucky to find it; and if I didn€™t, I would be down Merde creek; luckily I was able to find the ski about halfway down only, and then slogged my way up where my gallant French friend had been waiting for me for at least 30 minutes. All in all, a very satisfying day in wonderful company. Donnez-nous plus vendredis bluebird comme ca, Seigneur. Merci, Jake and Victor. Niko

Photos at nwhikers.net:

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7996348
Pics look pretty good to me, wish I was out enjoying it!  As a snowboarder and having to leash the board in resorts I also admit I don't take one touring with me.  Golden rule, don't let go of zee boards!

What a fantastic day I heard I missed. One of my favorites in the area. Glad you were able to join Victor and Jake on their escapade. Victor and I skied it in the spring some 4 years ago after seeing it from the chair peak circumnavigation. Great views from all angles!

It was difficult saying no to many ski invites and having to stay home and nurse day 2 of a nasty head cold on such a spectacular day.  When Jake called to tell me how amazing the tour was and how the conditions were off the hook I was happy they made it happen but in the same breath was wishing I could have overcome the weakness of being sick and joined them.

Way to go gentlemen!! Kudos for picking up a solo tourer and embracing the goods to be had as a trio. Not many would be open to allowing another to join in, but not you guys. That's the way it should be, to share the goodness that is our surroundings and look out for one another.

Excellent.
http://pix.kg/p/544206658212%3A1811995736/scl

Wasn't it an amazing day?  I think we passed you three when you were skinning up near the gully on Roosevelt, the powder was too good to stop and chat!

What did that crazy Brit have on his feet? ;)

Hey Ale:  all the usual stuff: Burton boots & Sparks. The crazed prototyping season is on hold while the powder is here.
More binding-invention foolishness coming soon.  I have retired as chief editor of the tomahawk times..............for now!

A wonderful day out  ;D !  Thank you for posting Niko.  Cannot believe it has been 4 years since my last trip up Roosevelt with Lisa!  Snow flies by.

More pictures at : https://picasaweb.google.com/104952785231857279993/MountRoosevelt02

We saw your group heading up Roosevelt while doing the Chair peak circumnav on Friday. We started out as a group of 5 headed for Kaleetan, but I had to bail due to a lack of time available. 3 of the group topped out on Kaleetan (Kudos), While 2 of us continued around the mountain. Superb day of trail breaking and powder slashin. It was incredibly difficult to pass up all the perfect untouched lines as we circled the hill.

Reply to this TR

roosevelt-1-27-12
niko
2012-01-28 15:23:47