Home > Trip Reports > Jan 27 Baker Backcountry, Swift Creek Drainage

Jan 27 Baker Backcountry, Swift Creek Drainage

1/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Lynden Don on 1/27/12 1:09pm
Well the adventures continue in my exploring of the hidden stashes in the Swift Creek Drainage.  Over the years I had always heard about this place from the lift crowd, for many years I would simply head out to Hermans Saddle.  Leaving Swift Creek to the Slack Country Types.  So today was my 7th day in the drainage.  There is so much hidden in the trees, we did laps in the tree sections all day.  The snow pack was exceptionally well bonded, dug a couple of quick pits and found one layer on the south facing slopes at about 8", on the east facing slopes we found a layer at about 2'. Both of the layers where released with moderate shovel leverage.  We saw evidense of some older slide debre, and only minor sluff activity during our turns.  Ski cuts did not release any avi activity.  THe weather was a fairly typical Baker day, overcast and intermittent snow showers, temp holding at about 20 degrees.

Until next time

Don
Hey Don,

Down to what elevation did you ski? And what was the snow depth? Was thinking of the Barometer Mountain traverse. Wondering if there's enough snow low down to make it a go?

author=stoked link=topic=23430.msg99411#msg99411 date=1327856846]
Was thinking of the Barometer Mountain traverse. Wondering if there's enough snow low down to make it a go?

Stoked, I did a Barometer traverse on the 22nd. Skiing the long fall line of trees to the Nooksack valley still needs additional snow for fun skiing. We skied the entire way, but about half of it was survial technique. Exiting into Anderson Creek valley would be fine, but then you have more road skiing.

author=ebeam link=topic=23430.msg99439#msg99439 date=1327873105]
Stoked, I did a Barometer traverse on the 22nd. Skiing the long fall line of trees to the Nooksack valley still needs additional snow for fun skiing. We skied the entire way, but about half of it was survial technique. Exiting into Anderson Creek valley would be fine, but then you have more road skiing.

Right. Thanks ebeam. And it's warming up a tad too much this week.

Reply to this TR

jan-27-baker-backcountry-swift-creek-drainage
Lynden Don
2012-01-27 21:09:01