Home > Trip Reports > January 26, 2012, Clara Lakes

January 26, 2012, Clara Lakes

1/26/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 1/26/12 5:01am
The wind is blowing so hard today at Mission Ridge that neither upper chairs are running, but on the adjacent and just slightly different aspect above Clara Lakes, the wind was low and the skiing was good.  Another benefit of hike-skiing is that while the folks standing in the early lift-line got skunked, I got in two powder runs worthy of grins and giggles.

Snow from last week has compacted.  Still soft, but you don't penetrate deeply.  Great resistance under the new (3-4" plus wind transport).  Really fun skiing (and easy skinning).
Love it there!  Both times we tried it was hard ice, but beautiful unusual terrain.   We, too, were amazed at the rapid settlement of all that loose powdery snow from the past 2 weeks, in such short order, on the far east slopes of the Cascades.  It has created a nice supportive base to keep the skis away from the rocks.  Thanks for the post and pics.

Saw your truck Mike. I skinned a couple laps on Castle while waiting for 3 to load, very nice. Got on 3 about 10 minutes after they started loading and skied four untracked runs down liftline and Johnson's to Rock Garden. Tomorrow should be great, I think all the snow blew to Stemilt Basin.

i'm hoping this is a good sign for blewett pass tomorrow

Reply to this TR

january-26-2012-clara-lakes
mikerolfs
2012-01-26 13:01:07