Home > Trip Reports > Mid-January Highway 20 Video

Mid-January Highway 20 Video

1/15/12
Posted by Jeff_Ward on 1/24/12 7:47am
Here's a short little video of some mid-January skiing off of Highway 20. (by the way,no copyrights were harmed during the making of this video  ;))

http://www.ncmountainguides.com/permalink.asp?id=672#672

We are finding pretty good stability considering all of the new snow.  The instabilities seem to be limited to the upper snowpack with minor storm and wind slab instabilities.  The Christmas Crust is now deep enough that it would be difficult to skier trigger and should be gaining strength. 

I did find one isolated pocket of buried surface hoar at the yurt near Hart's Pass, but it was limited to a creek bed and I could not find it anywhere else (5,800', east aspect, 4mm, down 65 cms on 1/20/2012). 
As always, thanks for the nice video Jeff.  Wish I could make it over to meet you for  a day of skiing.....actually  made it WA Pass (Blue Lake Area) on Sunday. As you suggest, stability was pretty good considering the depth of fresh snow. The real hazard; the sled in from Ross Lake.....you should try that some time :) Hope to see more of your videos this season. SM

I forgot to mention that if I see you ever post a "full disclosure report" on this site......next time I see you, I will kick you in the nutz......but lightly. :)

I removed a couple of posts here.  Trying to force/shame folks into sharing information isn't really okay here, professional or recreational. 

author=samoon link=topic=23373.msg99186#msg99186 date=1327502754]
...next time I see you, I will kick you in the nutz......but lightly. :)

Ow, my balls  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_4jrMwvZ2A
FGP all the way! Larches! Weeeeee!!!!

author=samoon link=topic=23373.msg99186#msg99186 date=1327502754]
The real hazard; the sled in from Ross Lake.....you should try that some time :)

That must have been an epic snowmobile ride.  We spent all day digging out snowmobiles in Leavenworth on Sunday.  My back is still recovering.  We should have just gone to Stevens, but powder greed got the best of us. 

Next time you are up in the Wa Pass area send me an email.  It would be great to get out (as long as you don't kick me in the nutz  :)). 

Reply to this TR

mid-january-highway-20-video
Jeff_Ward
2012-01-24 15:47:18