Home > Trip Reports > January 22, 2012, North Ridge Jim Hill Mtn

January 22, 2012, North Ridge Jim Hill Mtn

1/22/12
Posted by Robert Connor on 1/23/12 3:26am
Thomas and I toured up the north face of the ridge that divides Lanham Creek from [s]Harrison[/s] Henry Creek.  It probably has a real name, but I don€™t know it, so for us it is the North Ridge of Jim Hill Mountain.  The bottom 1000€™ are a brutal bushwack up and down, but the 1600 vertical above that is a quite nice treed north aspect with pleasantly spaced trees and a moderate slope.  We found decent if somewhat wind affected snow on the western half of the slope that skied much better than we expected it would on the skin up.  For our second run we skied a line on the eastern side of the face and found better snow.  It had been snowing nearly all day with light winds and that left us with some very nice snow in the afternoon.  Given the chance I would reverse the order of the lines as we were left with about a mile of skiing to get back to our car parked at the Stevens Pass Nordic Center.  We only ran into two other people, a pair of splitboarders, the whole day which left plenty of nice snow for everyone.  I am not worried about exposing any secret stash because anyone willing to endure the bottom 1000€™ has earned the right to any good snow they find.

I hope to have some photos to post tonight.
Hi Robert,
I don't have a map in front of me, do you mean Henry Creek?  Essentially the rib above the railroad tunnel ventilator pull out?  looking forward to pics.  Seems like a nice, safe call, find!
Thanks,
John

Yes.  Sorry about that.  I was writing the TR while talking to someone about Harrison Street and got a bit of brain crosstalk.

It was a nice place.  There were lots of line available that didn't show any signs of instability and would have made really fun runs.  It isn't super steep, but there are steeper sections.  I think it might be better to access from the ventilator as that would eliminate dealing with traversing the Stevens Pass Nordic Center.  It would mean you were skinning up a more NE aspect rather than a NW aspect.  The NE aspect would be more likely to be wind loaded, but the trees are pretty tight top to bottom.

Here are some photos.

Thomas on the skin up.  Pretty typical tree spacing for the upper 1500'

Fun little terrain features we spotted on the way up.  The west side of the face is the most featured.  The east side had the best snow.

Thomas getting the goods on the second run.

Yes, I got quite snowy on this one.

Reply to this TR

january-22-2012-north-ridge-jim-hill-mtn
Robert Connor
2012-01-23 11:26:26