Home > Forum > Feb 13, 2005, Baker - Hemis/Arm

Feb 13, 2005, Baker - Hemis/Arm

• snoslut
  • [boarddude]
More
13 Feb 2005 18:14 - 14 Feb 2005 02:26 #211808 by snoslut
Feb 13, 2005, Baker - Hemis/Arm was created by snoslut
The forecast north called for mostly cloudy with chance of sun breaks.  As Chris, Rene and I approached I had a feeling it was going to be an epic day.  Pulled into the lot to clouds hanging around and sunny blue skies above some portions of the resort.  Took chair 7 to 8 and wouldn't ya know.  The gate was open! ;D  There were only 2 boarders ahead of us breaking trail to the top of Hemis so we trailed.  I made the mistake of stepping off trail and sunk to my thighs then wallowing.  Once at the top we took in some good views of the surrounding terrain.  Noticed a bunch of lines around Artist and a few people skinning.<br><br>It was time.  We dropped off the backside and headed towards the Canyons.  Snow was sick!  Super deep and  snow was flying everywhere.  Even though the telemetry said 10" there was at least 2ft snow and more where the wind blows.  There were times when I couldn't see the tip of my fish (pow board).  Now the fun part to get into the canyon.  Which line goes thru...which cliffs?  I took a line I have taken in the past and when I dropped in, too late to turn around now, I was on a small cliff ledge.  Lucky for me there was plenty of snow to land into and a ramp to jump for.  While Chris and I waited for Rene we witnessed a skier trigger a slab maybe, most likely sluff on a 40 degree chute above the Canyons run.  He or she traveled about 40ft or so before somehow stopping and gathering themselves, then skiing off.<br><br>With the weather window still available our next hike took us to the Shuksan Arm.  We hiked out about a mile before finding a suitable drop in.  A nice vertical cliff face with enough snow sticking to it.  As I rolled in from the top and took a turn into a side chute I abruptly stopped to watch my sluff travel 300ft or so down the main chute.  With the rock on top now exposed no ones going down that line.  I continued my sick line throwing plums of pow every which way and riding along side my sluff.  I watched Chris and Rene carve some phat arcs with their Seth's.  He even did a forward roll that looked like he meant to do it. ;D<br><br>While Chris and Rene decided to go explore other areas of the mountain I returned to the arm.  This line took me a little further out than before.  It was just as good.  You gotta love them rollers that you can't see the other side of but you know its snow.  Then the thrill of going over and down the elevator.  With the day winding away I had enough time to ride Hemis again and meet my friends back at the car at 4pm.  Just in time to.  As I left the clouds started rolling in thick.<br><br>On the way home we stopped at Hawaiian BBQ.  Man that's grub.  Only place I know of other than Hawaii that serves spam with eggs for breakfast.  Sweet.  For a second I thought I was back on the islands.  We ate, laughed and marinated on the day that had just gone by, wishing that there are many more to come.  Thanx mother nature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2005 14:33 #211813 by Matt C
Replied by Matt C on topic Re: Feb 13, 2005, Baker - Hemis/Arm
On Sunday I headed out Shuksan Arm to tweak out my new AT setup...a nice change from teles! After a couple of laps I had my boots and bindings dailed. Tom and I made quick work on many untracked lines. I was forced to call in sick on Monday in order to do it all over again. Sylvie and I did a couple of laps of the Arm before heading home. Now I'm feeling MUCH better!<br><br>PS...snoslut, was that you out on the arm wearing an orange jacket...you walked up towards me (skier) and my buddy (boarder) before dropping into Heli Line? Think I saw you up on Muir for the September powder day?

• snoslut
  • [boarddude]
More
14 Feb 2005 23:46 #211815 by snoslut
Replied by snoslut on topic Re: Feb 13, 2005, Baker - Hemis/Arm
Hey Sunday sure was sick! Yup that wuz me with the orange jacket. And yup that wuz proly me again on Muir back in Sept. Glad to meet ya.<br><br>I wuz thinking about calling in sick Monday but I couldn't convince anyone else. I bet it was epic too.