Home > Trip Reports > January 22, 2012, Stevens

January 22, 2012, Stevens

1/22/12
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 1/22/12 11:31am
A gaggle of 8 poked about looking for good snow with some success. Skied most aspects, pass level and up. Snowed all day, sometimes heavily, new snow quite light. In the morning, 2-3" new/graupel over a soft but ski-supportable layer on most aspects, buried under 3-5" new by the afternoon. Wind effects on many aspects; very sheltered haunts held the goods. Tomorrow's skiers may be happy people.

Less reactive snow than I'd expected. Perhaps the dense supportable layer kept things together? Sluffs in the new ran easily on steeper slopes at 2pm.

Great to meet everyone! BBQ bus at the reptile zoo delivered the meaty goods; 4-person sampler yielded four sated skiers for ~$40.
Some pictures from the day, featuring:
1) Fun turns.
2) The last person we saw for some time happened to have 3 dogs in tow... which were unfortunately for him not towing.
3) Some fun I've-not-seen-that-before lee-side loading of the Subaru.  Hardly any snow on top, 3+ inches on stuck to the lee side.

Nice!

I've bumped into that guy with the dogs a few times.

He is usually packing more than just dogs. Wear your bright cloths.

I saw him a few weekends in a row up there last year and he seemed like a pretty nice guy when I chatted with him.

Yeah, he's a nice guy -- Mike, I think?  Two of his dogs are brother/sister akitas and are usually towing him uphill on his snowshoes.

Good skiing with you guys. I posted another TR before I saw yours. 10 more inches overnight - wish I had another day off work!

Reply to this TR

january-22-2012-stevens
Charlie Hagedorn
2012-01-22 19:31:20