Home > Trip Reports > February 13, 2005, White's Knuckle - MRNP

February 13, 2005, White's Knuckle - MRNP

2/13/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ron j on 2/13/05 8:54am
Longmire seemed like a snow slider's old home week.  We ran into a whole gaggle of folks. The ones that I remember were Brian (from Utah), Ross, Tom and Eva, Michael and Corinne, Kam, Chris, Allyson, Kelvin Rick, Marco, Evan and Melissa, and a bunch of others my dementia is blocking me from recalling right now.  
Robie also was also there gearing up to give blood working with a group of new Tacoma Mountaineer skiers honing their new skills on Robie's experience.

For a while it looked like the gate at Longmire may open before the forecast 10:00 opening.  But, alas, the road crew decided another sand truck needed to be out of our reach so we were headed up the road to Paradise by 10:10.

A gaggle of the usual suspects convened to gear up at the Paradise trailhead.
Sam It was great meeting you there today.  I have wanted to put a face and a handshake to that svaiusini handle for a long time.

Before you could blink an eye everyone was off in a flash and us old folks (Jeanette, Jerry, Dick and myself) were left in the dust (or, I guess in this case it would be, snow flurries).  With little to no hope of getting ahead of the pack for first tracks on any of the more renowned slopes,  we relegated ourselves to settling for snooping around on the less desirable, passed over aspects above Paradise that were more within the cruising range of folks needing a walker to get their skis on.

Dick Lambe prompted a rename of the line of our second untracked run to "Lamb's Skin" (not to be confused with any type of prophylactic aid) by skiing the entire run top to bottom (or at least the parts where he was upright) with one skin on and one skin off.  It was a memorable scene to see a skier as skilled as Dick (who, BTW, NEVER falls) falling every second to third turn to the bottom where he finally came to a sort of divine revelation and announced to Jerry, "Shit, one of my skins is still on".  Way to go, Dick, now there's four of us that probably won't do that again. We sincerely thank you for the lesson.  It was a treat to finally watch someone else (besides me) learn something the hard way for a change  ;).

Next stop was the highlight of our day (well, ok, second highlight of our day), White's Knuckle, a little 40 degree chute above the 30 degree run of puffy knolls we call "Pillow Talk", all again, untracked until we got there.  We accessed the bottom via "Y Not" as we had to boot it up White's Knuckle to make sure it was clear (it's hard to see the entire line from the top or the bottom and with the low snow pack we were not sure the line would go).  

Pillow talk, Just below White's Knuckle was so sweet we did double duty there.

All in all a stellar day with more occasional snow flurries, punctuated with sun breaks.   West and south facing aspects has shallower crusts which in some places would not support heaver skiers (yeah, like me  ???). East and north facing aspects seemed devoid of the shallower sun crusts and we skied on the walkable January crust when we sank down through the light and fresh, which ranged to anywhere from four inches to a foot of untracked bliss.

Jerry should have a viddy up in a day or two and Jeanette promised to post some more stills.

Rock on.
Very nice report Ron. :)

Great report Ron. Sounds like you guys found a great stash away from our crowded slope over at Mazama ridge :-) !

It was great to meet you (again :-)) and finally be able to put faces on all of you!

Wow I loved that day!!! 8) Great skiing you guy's!  Here's this weeks film: Pillow Talk
Nice reporting Ron!

There ya go geezerizing us again!
Wasn't bad Looked like everybody was having fun.
More snow please.Snowing hard as we left and I guess they got6" last night.oght to be stellar for those that can get up there onMonday -tues

Hey Ron,
It was great to finally meet you.
I met all of these folks that I have been wanting to ski with all year. I didn't really plan on only getting out a handfull of times. I was thinking more around the lines of 50 or 60 days.
Oh well, at least I got to put faces to all of the great posts on TAY.
Special thanks to Ross and Eric for the carpool!!!!!
We had some pretty good conditions over on Mazama ridge. Even though most of the fore mentioned gaggle ended up there, we had some good skiing. It was a little variable, but beggars can't be choosers.
There was one run away ski incident, but it was quickly recovered.
Nothing as cool as skiing with one skin on, although I could not seem to remember to put down my heel lifters and skied 3 runs with at least on in the up position.
I am looking forward to skiing with you all again soon.
Hopefully this season isn't over yet.
Kam, I would like to check out your ski press and see how you guys are making those awesome Phatties that you were riding.

Well, hope to see you all again soon!!!!

Bryan Curtis (from Utah)

Before you could blink an eye everyone was off in a flash and us old folks (Jeanette, Jerry, Dick and myself) were left in the dust (or, I guess in this case it would be, snow flurries).  

Being one of the geezers, sure takes the pressure off having to keep up with the youngsters all day.  ;) We  had another stellar day at Paradise lapping up first tracks on all our slopes for the entire day, it just doesn't get much better than that. ;D

You can view more photos of our fun here

http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/whitesknucklemrnp21305.msnw?Page=1

Awwwwwh man! Wish I would have been there! I was workin' instead of playin'.  >:(

Great TR as usual. Hopefully see you next week.

Michael

Grrrr...I knew I'd regret not going skiing this past weekend - sounds like you all had a great time  :)

Ron J and Gang:  i knew it!  you always know where to find untracked snow... :)

anyway, it was good to see you, Mad_Dog and JW at the parking lot.  our posse had a great time around Mazama Ridge.  though more crowded than usual, making fresh tracks wasn't a problem.  there was definitely a firm crust underneath the 2-6" of new, but it was supportive.  i shot some photos, and hopefully the names match the riders.
if you don't want your photo posted, please IM me and i'll happily remove it.  also, sorry about the quality -- lack of skills and funky light  >:(

-  jimeo getting some freshiez
-  Michael, pose for a second...
-  Wasatch style by bcpinhead
-  Allyson, carving it up
-  savaiusini makes it look easy
-  Eva carves with perfect form
-  i think she's smiling (skier: Corinne)
-  round three for cascadesfreak
-  who says we're having a bad snow year? (skier: savaiusini)
-  it feels fresh (skier: scott v.)
-  another good run for ski_photomatt
-  Kelvin carving on home-made skis
-  Tom, just point 'em!
-  who says it's dust on crust? (skier: Michael) ;D
-  "i like speed" (skier: savaiusini)

Kam, I would like to check out your ski press and see how you guys are making those awesome Phatties that you were riding.

what, these home-made things? ... and these too (135-108-125mm)?  Kelvin, my cousin Kam (yes, there are two of us in the family, but he lives in N. Lake Tahoe) and i have been working on this project for some time now.  we're doing it for fun, and also because we like to ski.  anyway, we're figuring out the process and surprisingly, our home-made rides work.  give us a ring if you want to visit our garage-based "ski factory".  ;D

-kam

As Geezer #4, I can attest that this trip had great: powder, slopes and company.  For inquiring minds, I can provide one more data point for those studying which combination of skins and skis works best for downhill travel:  one skin on and one skin off does not work well.  Of course, it does add a little extra challenge...
A few photos of the day can be found here:

Great shots Kam! Thanks for sharing. And those homemade fatties are sweet looking. Keep crafting.

Nice pictures Kam!

Here are some of my pictures - same comment about quality, the light made it hard on some of these:

Great skiing with all of you and see you soon on some more fresh snow  :D

Define geezer; a couple of old, broke-down, tele-skier Alaskans in exile want in!  We're taking our walkers up tomorrow, hope to run into some of you 40+'ers...

Michael (aka nordic ned): excellent photos... ;)
i love you man.

- Mr. K. A. Sutra.

Wow, Kam, Michael, Dick, and Jeanette, great pictures you guys.  It's fun to see so many great photos show up on a bc skiing site from just one day's skiing.

And Jerry, GREAT video, and cranked out in record time.  You're really getting you production skills dialed in.

Let's all go do it again!

-Howie

Welcome paramagic.
I think a "geezer" is anyone that's more than 20 years older that the person doing the defining ;)
In my case 40+ is still a young pup  :)
However you define them we're all just backcountry sliders enjoying the mountains together; some just go faster than others.  Hope to meet you up there soon.

WOW!!!
Awesome pics guys.
That is great that there are so many people that add to this site.
It was great to meet you all and I am looking forward to the next outing.
If anyone is going next weekend, let me know!!!

Take care everyone.

Bryan

P.S.
Kam, I love that your pics make it look so deep up there.
That is how we make the Wasatch snow look so good!!!

Define geezer.........

Well, hmmmm, let's see this year I'm going to be the speed limit  ;)   8)

hey nice pics michael and kamo...you guys sure do know how to make folks look cool :D...and as for the geezers, well, you sure do know how to make folks jealous, what with all your "secret stashes" and all! :) nice report, and, clever names for the runs too.

Hey, I'd like to see the KamSki works . . . what are the dimensions on the "skinny" one? And the fat one, is that the "ahma", as in "yo real mama" for Chinese kids?

Hey, I'd like to see the KamSki works . . . what are the dimensions on the "skinny" one?

skinny?  i don't know what you're talking about.

the black pair shown above, called the Klown Whackers (or to some, Klown Kickers), have dimensions: 130-95-125mm, length 177.2334 cm.

And the fat one, is that the "ahma", as in "yo real mama" for Chinese kids?

you got it!!  ;D  my cousin Kam named one pair "ahmo".  can you guess that one??

-kam

Michael (aka nordic ned): excellent photos... ;)
i love you man.

- Mr. K. A. Sutra.

Thanks Dr. Asutra. Love you too Tele Ted.
It's good we are so close to Valentine's day :-)

woa!  I'm just now catching-up on this thread (been outta-town for a few days); Great pics as always!  ;)  Nice report Ron!  Looks like the "geezers" had yet another nice stash all to themselves  ;)  Fortunately there was lots of room for fresh tracks at Mazama Bowl; nice seeing/meeting everyone out there last Sunday!

Reply to this TR

february-13-2005-white-s-knuckle-mrnp
ron j
2005-02-13 16:54:23