Home > Trip Reports > january 21, 2012, hwy 2 pow

january 21, 2012, hwy 2 pow

1/21/12
Posted by alecapone on 1/21/12 12:01pm
East of the crest just keeps giving!. this time a lap each on the south slopes of Flying Squirrel and Pine Marten. Trees where mostly bombed out but the open areas where outstanding.

Still considerable danger. Storm layers above 5,000' are just as reactive as 2 days ago, but now with several more inches of new snow on top. Ski cuts produced thick 1'+ slabs on the same layer as 2 days ago as well.

Again no pics from me.

what a day!  any more of that pow and we wouldn't have been able to find your skin track from 2 days prior!  the only thing that day was missing was more daylight for another lap!

Good bumping into you again Scott.  That zone is seriously fun with a great combo of pillows, trees and fall-line skiing.

A few more photos.

Thanks for adding the great photos to my otherwise useless thread, Ben and John!

Brian, stoked you guys liked the area so much that you decided to come back and stay a while. Sorry I couldn't make it for breakfast. Hope your Sunday went well.

author=alecapone link=topic=23312.msg99115#msg99115 date=1327421852]Sorry I couldn't make it for breakfast. Hope your Sunday went well.

You missed some damn good bacon oatmeal!  Sunday was great; got in three more laps before packing up and retreating to the relative comfort of a warm, dry car.

author=alecapone link=topic=23312.msg99115#msg99115 date=1327421852]
Thanks for adding the great photos to my otherwise useless thread, Ben and John!

Brian, stoked you guys liked the area so much that you decided to come back and stay a while. Sorry I couldn't make it for breakfast. Hope your Sunday went well.

Just wanted to add my thanks for showing brian and Allen around earlier in the week. I had a ton of fun skiing with them on the weekend.

Couple shots of you Sam.

bs are you wearing that vest/backpack thingy that north face makes?

author=christoph benells link=topic=23312.msg99211#msg99211 date=1327534192]
bs are you wearing that vest/backpack thingy that north face makes?

nope, just a vest over a shell, one of my many backcountry fashion faux pas.  it was quite windy & stormy at the top of the run and i didn't feel like taking the shell off to add a layer for warmth while we dug a snowpit and transitioned.

Reply to this TR

january-21-2012-hwy-2-pow
alecapone
2012-01-21 20:01:47