Home > Trip Reports > Jan 21, 2012, Kendall-Silver-Commonwealth Divide

Jan 21, 2012, Kendall-Silver-Commonwealth Divide

1/21/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 1/21/12 10:25am
Jake came from Leavenworth to Roslyn and we trucked up to meet his Seattle brother, Jared, at Red Mountain Coffee.  Only Jared's 2nd ever backcountry day and he is hooked!  The above title is just a long way of saying above the Kendall Peak Lakes.   From the PCT parking lot we traversed counterclockwise around the stump, to parallel the west side of Coal Creek up and past all three lakes, and up the final forested basin (above lake 3) NW to the divide.  I never understand why this doesn't get more attention on a day like today after experiencing lots of new snowfall coupled with various episodes of high winds.  This is a pretty safe open forested tour.
Yes it is south facing, and yes it is a lot of rolly polly touring, but on a day of suspect hazard we like it as a safe option.  Especially when the sun will not shine and the temps stay cold.
The snow was surprisingly good and easy to ski!  My first day on skis 100mm underfoot (up from 80mm), and with free hinge bindings.  It was deep with a layer cake of varying powdery snow.  As all this new snow has fallen with lots of wind effect, which stiffened various layers subtly and not so subtly.  Our mostly protected skiing still skied very well easily carving through any stiffer wind pack.  But the varying wind effect, some moderately cohesive new on top, a possible light rain layer (unsupportive crust) a foot or so down, and lower density stuff underneath kept out off any big open slopes.  However, once above 4500ft, the surface snow became less cohesive and it seemed we lost the rain layer.  No shooting cracks, nothing moved, minor sluffing, on slopes rarely exceeding 32-34 degrees.  All in all a great day to begin to train myself on these new skis!  With the free hinge bindings my thighs are surprisingly refreshed despite breaking lots of trail shortly after leaving the PCT.
Nice stoke!

I went from Cobra's to RTxbulldog's this past spring. In the touring department I feel like a whole new man.

Now if I could only save up enough for chargers or something.

3rd pic is great.  Obviously knows what he's doing.

Much thanks for the intelligent skin track, We had already intended to do that route today  but your track made it so much easier. Just a great day and well worth getting abused by winds on the open areas of the knob.

author=Robie link=topic=23310.msg99004#msg99004 date=1327284487]
Much thanks for the intelligent skin track, We had already intended to do that route today  but your track made it so much easier. Just a great day and well worth getting abused by winds on the open areas of the knob.

Thanks for the good words, Robie.  In my opinion that is like the best compliment a person can receive!  The joy of reading an intuitive skin track into the landscape ought to feel as satisfying as a great line of turns, I think.  Not that it always happens of course, even with the best laid intentions. 
Forever humble,
John

Reply to this TR

jan-21-2012-kendall-silver-commonwealth-divide
John Morrow
2012-01-21 18:25:47