Home > Trip Reports > Jan 21, Yodelin, Sticky Wind Packed

Jan 21, Yodelin, Sticky Wind Packed

1/15/12
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by bwalt822 on 1/21/12 10:13am
The avy forecast has us playing it safe at Yodelin today.  After seeing the lack of quality of the snow in the trees we went down some of the lower angled open slopes.  The snow was sticky and pretty wind packed and it was a challenge to keep the tips up.  We pretty much had to straight line the lower angled stuff we skied.  Prior to our second lap someone who skied the trees confirmed that it was crusty and bombed.  We were thinking about going over one of the steeper rolls so I dug a pit and got easy column test results so I did and ECT.  This also yielded a pretty easy reactive layer about a foot down that propagated all the way across the extended column and then slid off with a light push from the shovel.  I've got a video that I'll post tomorrow morning once I cut it down.  After that it was two more laps on the lower angled slopes.
Here's the video of the ECT.  Its obviously not 100% by the book but it gets the point across.

Video

Thanks for the update.  It's great to see the ECT being used, with a nice video to show how it works.

Reply to this TR

jan-21-yodelin-sticky-wind-packed
bwalt822
2012-01-21 18:13:48