Home > Trip Reports > February 13, 2005, Mt. Baker

February 13, 2005, Mt. Baker

2/13/05
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Zap on 2/13/05 4:54am
Jill and I arrived at the upper parking lot at Baker around 9:15am which gave all the early trail breakers a chance to smooth the approach for the retirees.  A few clouds were in the area but the sun made its entrance and we had blue skies, sunshine, no wind and temps in the mid 20's.  About 5" of dusty white stuff was settling over yesterday's fluff - I think an extra pair of diapers will be required.  

The skin track to the ridge above Bagley Lakes was perfect.  Now I know why Mark arrives at noon.  Our timing was perfect.  The early testosterone group had descended the most appealing chutes, initiating a cleansing process that ran down most of the ravines.   We just meandered down thru the slots then fanned out skiers left on the north facing slopes.  The powder was 8-12" deep and was effortless as we descended towards the lakes.  

The masses took the long way back up the ridge.  I kept waiting for a trail breaker but was disappointed in the lack of volunteers.  I decided to "chum the waters" and began setting an up track towards the base of the cliffs.  Sure enough, there was a nibble and a fearless trail breaker came to our rescue after I broke trail half way up. I would have continued if I didn't have a bad back.  

We spent the day cycling the north facing slopes that stayed cool and powdery in the shade.  A few folks climbed to Herman Saddle and up Herman itself.  The south facing slopes seemed to be heating up as we skated out of the basin. It was really, really, really GOOD.

Zap
 Now I know why Mark arrives at noon.Zap

Hey!!! That was our uptrack you were using, and our avalanche poodle-simulcrums; we must've just missed you, leaving the parking lot around 9:15 with a motley crew which included several skiers of your acquaintance (Pete and Ross), chasing but not catching at least one more (Tim Place).  Nice turns out there today.

After breaking trail and testing slopes for you and Jill, we investigated various other shots on and around Table Mountain.  Skiing on shaded slopes was mostly great, with some very shallow coverage where wind-affected but perfectly adequate elsewhere.  We did find quite a few slabby releases within and at the base of the storm snow, sometimes in less-than-predictable locations (but always on steep-ish, north aspects).  Some of these were large enough to give definite pause (±14 inch crowns) and some ran further than expected (7-800 vertical feet). Most were skier triggered, with a few naturals on very steep terrain.  Not quite the abundant stability of the previous week, but generally pretty tolerable and a lot of fun.  

pictures from Josh, Eric and I's trek:

http://spcmanspiff.users.poppinfresh.net/1/index.htm

Team Tim allowed a "maggot" to join them today, and it was great.  Explored out along Ptarmigan Ridge north slopes, was reminded why Baker is worth the long drive from Seattle for winter skiing as well as summer.  Glad I drove up the night before, tho.  Worked the farm 7:30AM-5:30PM, no lunch break, Tim is a tough taskmaster.  They did not get enough action today, so will return for leftovers tomorrow.  Skied a run with Team Josh, Eli's photos pretty much tell it all.

Very nice day in BakerWorld today. We flew in fast and low in Eli's new car. Go, Eli! For a second there I had flashbacks to Utah with all the fluff around. Glad we could ski a run with Tim/Mark/Silas and crew.

PS Eric, Eli has a nice shot of you on his website.

We were also up at Baker yesterday.  Left the parking lot at a leisurely 10am. On our way to our objective, Herman Saddle, we  saw a few largish skier triggered releases occur on table, which was interesting we hadn't observed those slopes actually run. Looked like only the new snow, but it ran to nearly the valley floor. Slow shoed it on out to herman saddle.  Dug a pit on the chain lakes side of the saddle...shovel compression test yielded that the top 8" moved on 10-elbow, below that it was super consolidate. Managed to tire out our bc newbie friend so he dug a shelter and waited on us as we took a run down towards the chain lakes.  This was the best run of the day with knee deep slightly heavy powder, just as we were about ready to drop in some skiers came and stole our glorious fresh tracks...luckily there was plenty for all.  After this we headed back up to the saddle, collected our friend and made our way back to the parking lot.  This run had developed a light sun crust but still had some fun turns.  

Yeah you gotta watch those skiers, man.  Setting off avies, stealing your first tracks...

just as we were about ready to drop in some skiers came and stole our glorious fresh tracks...luckily there was plenty for all.

If you were three snowshoing snowboarders who skied to Iceberg Lake immediately following a great many skiers....well, sorry.  We were the second group of skiers, and while we were complaining about the first group, the third group of skiers (who came skinning across the lake and followed you up the hill) were complaining bitterly about you. Quite a crowd there for a few minutes, then solitude followed closely by more glorious skiing.

You guys really ought to try the Baker backcountry sometimes.  This  bitching about other folks getting your line first, skiing what has already been cut, looking for a fresh patch for a few turns -- that is the psychological set of area skiing.

This year, especially on weekends, the Bagley Basin is not backcountry, it is non-lift served area skiing. Just like the Arm or Hemis, but without the diesel assist.

It's like the difference, for a lion, between a fresh kill and running across a carcass to chew on!  ;D

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/silaswild/album?.dir=/37b3&.src=ph&.tok=ph2gHiCBrjK57xp_

Thanks for the photos, Silas (who continues to call Jeff "Jerry").

Mark:  Yeah that was us.  No need to be sorry though.

And to everyone, sorry for the whining.  I think everyone is out looking for a fresh line and I think anyone would be disappointed if they happened upon a large group of peeps all in the same place at the same time.  

Next time I'll have lunch and doddle at the bottom of the run.  Yep,yep,yep :D

I think everyone missed
luckily there was plenty for all

It was a glorious day :D

-zzzzziiiiiip- heheh, looks like we caught ourselves some skiers! ;D

-zzzzziiiiiip- heheh, looks like we caught ourselves some skiers! ;D

Hain't no one caught me yet, Justin (probably snagged your hook on a chunk of Tim's savannah carrion).  It was an amazing thing, watching an untouched line suddenly accumulate 20 or so tracks, but everyone sounded pretty pleased to be there nonetheless.  Of course, I was hurt to my core when Ultragrrl & Co. spurned my peace offering of a half-eaten, burnt-coffee-grounds-and-straw flavored energy bar, but I've since managed to put that in proper perspective.  

enjoy,

Mark

Of course, I was hurt to my core when Ultragrrl & Co. spurned my peace offering of a half-eaten, burnt-coffee-grounds-and-straw flavored energy bar,

Mark

Ah, but one might be foolish to partake of a Sherpa's goodies on such a magnificent expedition.

oh yeah, and, don't trust old people  ;)

TP wrote:  'Silas (who continues to call Jeff "Jerry").'  

Hey, I'm lucky I remember anything from that trip.  I guess we really did take lots of breaks, but none for food or drink, just to take skins off or put them back on.  

Some of us were in such a hurry we kept one skin on during the descents, so we didn't have to waste time putting it back on for the uphill; sounds like one of the Southern group at Paradise uses that strategy, too.

Apologies to Jeff, our tireless trailbreaker all day.

Reply to this TR

february-13-2005-mt-baker
Zap
2005-02-13 12:54:29