Home > Trip Reports > January 19, 2012, Maple Leaf Couloirs

January 19, 2012, Maple Leaf Couloirs

1/19/12
Posted by Charles on 1/19/12 4:27am
My son and I skied the Maple Leaf Couloirs this morning, and they are in the best condition I have ever seen (in 24 years of living near them). We got first tracks on all of them, from 94th through 98th, plus what we now call (after an encounter yesterday with a postman on foot) the "Grumpy Postman Couloir", which connects two of them. Previous days' work by numerous lugeurs, followed by a solid freeze, has created a smooth and solid base, and today's early morning sleet provided the finishing touch needed for fast and predictable turning. Fishscale base skis highly recommended.
Nice Charles! It's amazing that such a thin layer of snow can be skiable without hitting the base.

I love the "Grumpy Postman Couloir." Is that near the "AWOL Paper Boy Chute?" We haven't seen him for a few days.  ;)

Then there's "Overflowing Garbage Can Alley." The Maple Leaf Range has no shortage of ski runs in weather like this.

You weren't the only one! Here's some footage hitting the kicker at 17th and 94th:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClM8nxzUcFM

You guys make me miss my old neighborhood. There's not nearly as many fun lines in Fremont (nor is there as much snow). Conditions in the 'Fremont Slot' (aka the alley behind my apartment) are treacherous today. I don't think you could get up or down it without crampons!

We almost need an Urban TR section!

author=artofthemix link=topic=23268.msg98862#msg98862 date=1327081927]
You weren't the only one! Here's some footage hitting the kicker at 17th and 94th:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClM8nxzUcFM

Oh great! Now the exact location of these little-known couloirs has been published on the internet and I will have to get up at some ungodly hour next time to get first tracks.  ;)

As of today, the grumpy postman and the newsboy are both still AWOL at our house. Haven't had mail delivery in a week now.

I forgot to add that the night before this report, I had to take my son to a music lesson near the SW edge of the Maple Leaf Range where the terrain is much gentler, and at the last minute I decided to throw my skis into the car to kill the hour wait. At that point the side streets were frozen sheets of ice due to the earlier freezing mist (and no tire grooves). I initially thought it wouldn't be worth skiing (impossible to ascend the street itself with only fishscales, but sidewalks turned out to be OK), but when I pointed my skis down the slightest of inclines I realized how wrong my initial impression had been. I went screaming down the slopes, fishscales buzzing. Edging around traffic circles made enough noise that the local residents must have wondered what disaster had just occurred in front of their houses. The best run was 8th Ave from 90th south to 80th. It was very very fun!

Reply to this TR

january-19-2012-maple-leaf-couloirs
Charles
2012-01-19 12:27:41