telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
08/25/19, 09:35 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  January 2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  January 19, 2012, Maple Leaf Couloirs
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: January 19, 2012, Maple Leaf Couloirs  (Read 3409 times)
Charles

January 19, 2012, Maple Leaf Couloirs
« on: 01/19/12, 12:27 PM »

My son and I skied the Maple Leaf Couloirs this morning, and they are in the best condition I have ever seen (in 24 years of living near them). We got first tracks on all of them, from 94th through 98th, plus what we now call (after an encounter yesterday with a postman on foot) the "Grumpy Postman Couloir", which connects two of them. Previous days' work by numerous lugeurs, followed by a solid freeze, has created a smooth and solid base, and today's early morning sleet provided the finishing touch needed for fast and predictable turning. Fishscale base skis highly recommended.
Lowell_Skoog

Re: January 19, 2012, Maple Leaf Couloirs
« Reply #1 on: 01/19/12, 01:54 PM »

Nice Charles! It's amazing that such a thin layer of snow can be skiable without hitting the base.

I love the "Grumpy Postman Couloir." Is that near the "AWOL Paper Boy Chute?" We haven't seen him for a few days.  Wink

Then there's "Overflowing Garbage Can Alley." The Maple Leaf Range has no shortage of ski runs in weather like this.
« Last Edit: 01/19/12, 01:59 PM by Lowell_Skoog » Logged
artofthemix
1Member

« Reply #2 on: 01/20/12, 09:52 AM »

You weren't the only one! Here's some footage hitting the kicker at 17th and 94th:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClM8nxzUcFM
pipedream

« Reply #3 on: 01/20/12, 12:57 PM »

You guys make me miss my old neighborhood. There's not nearly as many fun lines in Fremont (nor is there as much snow). Conditions in the 'Fremont Slot' (aka the alley behind my apartment) are treacherous today. I don't think you could get up or down it without crampons!

Moral of story is don't ski when you can snowboard
steveski

« Reply #4 on: 01/20/12, 01:11 PM »

We almost need an Urban TR section!
Charles

« Reply #5 on: 01/21/12, 11:54 AM »

You weren't the only one! Here's some footage hitting the kicker at 17th and 94th:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClM8nxzUcFM
Oh great! Now the exact location of these little-known couloirs has been published on the internet and I will have to get up at some ungodly hour next time to get first tracks.  Wink

As of today, the grumpy postman and the newsboy are both still AWOL at our house. Haven't had mail delivery in a week now.

I forgot to add that the night before this report, I had to take my son to a music lesson near the SW edge of the Maple Leaf Range where the terrain is much gentler, and at the last minute I decided to throw my skis into the car to kill the hour wait. At that point the side streets were frozen sheets of ice due to the earlier freezing mist (and no tire grooves). I initially thought it wouldn't be worth skiing (impossible to ascend the street itself with only fishscales, but sidewalks turned out to be OK), but when I pointed my skis down the slightest of inclines I realized how wrong my initial impression had been. I went screaming down the slopes, fishscales buzzing. Edging around traffic circles made enough noise that the local residents must have wondered what disaster had just occurred in front of their houses. The best run was 8th Ave from 90th south to 80th. It was very very fun!
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.