Home > Trip Reports > January 18, 2012, Alki

January 18, 2012, Alki

1/18/12
Posted by Don_B on 1/18/12 3:49am
We departed from our ski-in/ski-out accommodations into the teeth of the storm this morning. Traversed 61st St and made it across the Alki Ave Gap (past the Tulley's) in good time. Found a good spot to launch through the cornice onto the Alki Beach Headwall and took the fall line letting them run in a straight line, building up speed carrying us onto the flats right to the seawall. First tracks! Surf was up! Pounding waves and crashing spray added to the stinging wet snow. We enjoyed some surf and turf, then headed back for some Cascade Concrete and Asphalt. First time skiing with seagulls and pigeons. Saw some of the legendary snowmen, we think. Slough-y but still has some vegetation holding the slopes in place.

here is the
Fabulous!
I'll be making some turns on the steep side of Cherry Street down to the lake again today.

Nice!

As a WS denizen, one of my favorite spots for turns during days like these is that little park above Alki, just where California turns down the hill to Alki- Hamilton Viewpoint park. Has good angle and some fall line, grass underneath, and if there's enough snow the road itself can be sweet (as long as no one is driving on it!!).

author=TomM link=topic=23246.msg98708#msg98708 date=1326917759]
Nice!

As a WS denizen, one of my favorite spots for turns during days like these is that little park above Alki, just where California turns down the hill to Alki- Hamilton Viewpoint park. Has good angle and some fall line, grass underneath, and if there's enough snow the road itself can be sweet (as long as no one is driving on it!!).

I always thought if you could time it right where it cleared up after a snow storm, that would be a place where you could get a sweet ski pic with the city in the background.  Problem is I don't live in WS, so I don't get over there when it's snowing...

To update that 2nd photo:

"Give me your tired, poor, your huddled masses
Yearning to breathe free-heel,
I lift my headlamp beside the golden door!"

Thanks for the WS tour tips -- we've only been here since October so all ski route advice appreciated. And the Liberty text is good advice too. Could have used her headlamp by the end of the pm tour through Schmitz park. Some pretty icy descents on the streets -- think we might have some rain crusts and buried icy layers to deal with later in the season.

Fantastic pictures and report, huge salt points for that trip, thanks.

I had a fun ski down Charlestown hill from 55th to the beach.  Didn't hit concrete once...fun stuff.  Wife had cocoa w/ Fluff vodka waiting when I got home.  Made the afternoon conference call a little less boring.

Great pics!

Looks a lot like where I was skiing along the Strait yesterday. Those swells made me glad I was on land!  It was howling!

Reply to this TR

january-18-2012-alki
Don_B
2012-01-18 11:49:17