Home > Forum > Favorite Digital Photo Sites

Favorite Digital Photo Sites

• RossMac
  • [RossMac]
More
12 Feb 2005 07:28 #170885 by RossMac
Favorite Digital Photo Sites was created by RossMac
I just got a new digital camera after years of being a film troglodyte, and would like to set up a good on-line way to store, organize and share the photos. I am very envious of the way that many of the members of this site post their best shots immediately after the trip. <br><br>Any recommendations on the best sites to use/ways to do this? I figure I could ask this question on a digital camera site, but would probably get overwhelmed with technical talk. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2005 08:46 #170887 by skip
Replied by skip on topic Re: Favorite Digital Photo Sites
If you have your own space, like a website or the free space some ISP's give you, that I find is optimal; however, if that's not the case I've had good luck with webshots.com. It's free, fairly intuitive, and you can decide whether you want to share your files with the public or keep them privately held. I believe they offer something to the effect of 24 album's worth of photos.<br><br>If I recall correctly, what webshots does not allow you to do is to post a picture directly into your thread. For that, you'd need another service.

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
12 Feb 2005 09:06 #170888 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: Favorite Digital Photo Sites
I rather dislike generic photo hosting sites. You can't customize the page, the url is impossible to remember, you don't have much control over it. I never visit these sites, they're hard to find, often not very user-friendly, and just too generic. <br><br>Much better, IMHO, is to buy some web space, learn a bit of HTML, and put the photos there.

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
12 Feb 2005 10:48 #170889 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: Favorite Digital Photo Sites
I agree with what Paul said if you're considering using one of the free photobook sites (like webshots.com). <br><br>Though if you're willing to spend a bit of money, I'd highly recommend smugmug.com/. It's not free but it's inepensive, really easy/fast to use and you can link directly to photos from this site (which you can't do with webshots). If you'd like an example of it see my father's website (checkout how cute my nieces and nephews are!):
hud.smugmug.com/

For occasional picture posting you can also just upload to www.biglines.com/. They will not restrict linking to the photo from other sites.

More
12 Feb 2005 11:06 #170890 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Favorite Digital Photo Sites
groups.msn.com/
allows hotlinking.
Free up to some meager level, $20/yr for a bunch.

• sheispiste
  • [sheispiste]
More
12 Feb 2005 12:22 #170891 by sheispiste
Replied by sheispiste on topic Re: Favorite Digital Photo Sites
RossMac,<br>I've recently downloaded Google's new organizing software called Picasa2. It is easy to use and very intuitive. www.picasa2.com The software scans your entire computer for images, and I found some old photos in folders I forgot I had. I also like it because you can label photos (skiing, flowers, mountains, etc) and save a flag to those labels, not an entire copy of the image itself (thus, saving room on the hard drive). In conjunction with the organizing software are both a web posting (through Blogger) and email sharing (through Hello) systems. All for free.

I too enjoy all the photos here on TAY. Thanks to all for sharing!
--Jessica

More
12 Feb 2005 13:19 - 12 Feb 2005 13:29 #170892 by JW
Replied by JW on topic Re: Favorite Digital Photo Sites
I have a bunch of albums on Webshots, community.webshots.com/user/jwdesign I paid the 20 or 25 a year and can have up to 5000 images I think. It's been good for me,  but like Paul said It's probably more enjoyable for the viewer if you do your own pages. I'm just about ready to spring for some web space because the videos I've been posting have filled my Comcast webspace to the limit. Have fun with your new camera!<br><br> PS When I want to put a still in a report I use Snapfish (a Comcast photosite ) it works fine, but it's a hassel to have to put the pic two places.----Jerry

• RossMac
  • [RossMac]
More
12 Feb 2005 16:22 #170893 by RossMac
Replied by RossMac on topic Re: Favorite Digital Photo Sites
Thanks to all -- this is a great community.

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
12 Feb 2005 18:04 #170894 by JibberD
Replied by JibberD on topic Re: Favorite Digital Photo Sites
RossMac- <br><br>I'll bet your ISP offers you a bit of personal webspace where you can store pics that you can link into trip reports. I'm with earthlink and use the webspace that comes with the basic account to store the pics I've been linking in trip reports. When I was with AOL a few years back they offered the same feature...I think it's pretty standard for ISP's to offer at least a little webspace.<br><br>You're right, this is a great little community.