Home > Trip Reports > Jan 17, 2012, Topaz Court

Jan 17, 2012, Topaz Court

1/17/12
Posted by James Wells on 1/17/12 8:12am
We got close to a foot at 380' asl on top of 8" or so the prior couple of days.  Not feasible to drive anywhere although a few brave souls did, so found skiing out the door accompanied by dogs and sledding kids.  At the bottom of Topaz Court, I was just heading up to get a nice 500' power run from the top of Agate Heights road when the plow came by, which just proves that if you want fresh powder, you have to set out earlier than you had planned.  Had to be content with 5 laps of Topaz Court so about 700'.  Very nice powder for this altitude. 

With any luck they won't plow the court for a couple of days.  Dumbest thing they could possibly do would be to plow the bottom 1/4 of it, so it's still not very driveable but the sledding and skiing is destroyed.  Oh wait, that's what they always do.
Your streets have a pretty good drop to them, cool runnings.  Nothing here except flurries so far. 
And you had already gotten January in without waiting until the last weekend   ::)

Snow held up for more Topaz Court laps today, looks like tomorrow will still be okay.  Got to convince people to stop parking at the bottom, right at the run-out.

And no Mack, we had an adventure tour a couple of weeks ago through partial white out on the day you were already skiing elsewhere.

James - Glad to see you are shredding the local gnar.  Whenever you and mike head out on your next big adventure, give a holler.  Evan

Sadly the plow came.  There was wailing, there were tears.  The kids had to be dissuaded from staging a Tiananmen Court moment.

Fortunately there still were the power lines up the hill above the court.

When the run is only 6 feet wide, it's hard to convince the dogs to stay out of your fresh powder.  But it turned out that getting 2 or three dogs to break track ahead really does make it easier.

A nice 600' run from near the top of Squalicum Mtn back to the "trail" back home.

Hey Evan, great to ski with both you and Jesse, and next "real" ski day I'll tell you my plans for sure.

That's some serious Michigan sized vert!

Fun stuff James. Powerline run looks like stevens pass.

Reply to this TR

jan-17-2012-topaz-court
James Wells
2012-01-17 16:12:40