Home > Trip Reports > January 16, 2012, Mt. Hood, Newton Snow Report

January 16, 2012, Mt. Hood, Newton Snow Report

1/16/12
OR Mt Hood
Posted by MJS on 1/17/12 4:47am
Went up yesterday, Jan 16, for powder laps in Newton Creek and like many of the other reports we found unconsolidated snow that was about 12" to 24" deep depending on wind deposit.  The bond to the crust layer was minimal, but anything we started moving immediately broke up into soft slough.  No cracking.  However, we ventured just skier's left of the small trees onto the open face and there was the beginning of wind affect forming a heavier wind layer.  The new snow in the heavily treed areas was only about 4" to 6" deep, but I was surprised how thin the base has gotten.  On south facing aspects there were places with only about an inch of snowpack below the crust layer. 

We had a great day with multiple laps of chest and face shots.  Sorry, no photos.  It was too much fun to bother with the camera.  I hope these storms come in big to rebuild our base, but I expect we will be in an active avy cycle as the current foot or two of low density snow is buried in a lot more snow.  I am glad to have winter back and I hope it sticks around. 
Thanks for the report - 25 inches of snow recorded at Meadows today.  This storm will definitely be enough for a cat track out of Heather!

Reply to this TR

january-16-2012-mt-hood-newton-snow-report
MJS
2012-01-17 12:47:03