Home > Trip Reports > January 15, 2012, - Yodelin

January 15, 2012, - Yodelin

1/15/12
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Marcus on 1/17/12 1:41am
Plenty of folks hit Yodelin on Saturday for some fluffy tree skiing.  We had a good size group that split up over the course of the day so the faster folks could get a few laps in 18-24" of fluffy, fluffy snow.

Tim on Welldigger's Ass - photo by AP

There was minimal evidence of wind transport near the top on the south aspects and excellent skiing from 5200 down to 4000 on S and SW slopes.  I was able to get all the new snow to move in a big soft slab on the old crust on steeper S facing rolls, but it took a lot of effort to get it sliding. 

Mica skis the trees - photo by AP

Yodelin's meadows are taking longer to fill in, but there's plenty of coverage in the open and in the old growth.  We were touching down on the crust from time to time, but I'm betting that's not a problem anymore after the last couple of days.  Really good snow...

Hopi waits for mom - photo by AP
Good call.
Looks nice.

We saw a big black dog at the Yodelin parking lot on Sunday morning and wondered if that was Tundra! By the time we were booted up he'd already headed off in search of powder. Looks like sweet conditions on the Yodelin side of the valley as well!

Yup, T and Hopi had a blast.  It was perfect conditions for them, with that firm base... which, of course, meant that K9 "stone deaf powder fever" was in effect most of the day.

I'm curious what Hopi is wearing in that last pick. Training collar? or something else?

Glad it's good. Still waiting for winter in the Sierras...

It's the Garmin Astro -- she's training as a wilderness SAR dog and it's a great tool to track her on a GPS when she ranges out of sight... which she is very, very comfortable doing.  Independent pooch and as I said, sometimes stone deaf on a powder day.

It's also a semi-reasonable "poor-dog's beacon", in that we can get close to her with the GPS if she gets stuck somewhere.

Reminds me of a day my dog bailed off the track up Alpental valley to the valley floor. Where I got to lose 150+ ft of elevation to break him a new trail after he'd been lost for 10-15 minutes wallowing down there. Very comfortable wandering...

Hopi looks like an Ewok in that picture 8)

Thanks for the fun tour and turns! I'll have to get Jason out there some more with the splitboard so he can figure out the system...

A couple more shots

Nice pics Tim!  Great to hook up with you guys, at least for a chunk of the day.

author=powtothepeople link=topic=23220.msg98645#msg98645 date=1326841261]
Reminds me of a day my dog bailed off the track up Alpental valley to the valley floor. Where I got to lose 150+ ft of elevation to break him a new trail after he'd been lost for 10-15 minutes wallowing down there. Very comfortable wandering...

Heh -- yup, exactly.  Over the New Year weekend she launched off a roadcut chasing a ptarmigan, only to find herself in 2+ feet of snow at the bottom of a 35 degree slope, waiting for me to come cut her a track back up.  I am well trained.

Yet again I just chucked up all over my keyboard looking at the nice photos of snow you have ..... we still have nothing.  But, something ugly is rolling in over the hills.  I smell it; I feel it; and I can even taste it.  So I hope I didn't gas up my snowblower for nothing....

I'm guessing it's a poor snow year in Ethiopia.

author=Hollis link=topic=23220.msg99199#msg99199 date=1327513755]
I'm guessing it's a poor snow year in Ethiopia.

Heh -- yeah, not so much...

Reply to this TR

january-15-2012-yodelin
Marcus
2012-01-17 09:41:57