Home > Trip Reports > Jan 14-15 Mazama/Delancey Ridge

Jan 14-15 Mazama/Delancey Ridge

1/15/12
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by touringp on 1/17/12 12:55am
Went to Mazama this MLK weekend for the annual stay at the Country Inn. 

Saturday we decided to skin up hwy 20 and see what kind of snow and slopes we could find.  While gearing up at the end of the plowed road at Early Winters Campground, about 15 miles from Winthrop, we were approached by a skier with two snowmobiles.  He and his wife were staying at the same Inn and had been chatting with my in-laws the night before at dinner.  They offered to give us a tow up the road which was exactly what we needed!! (Thanks Colin and Toni!!)  Hot tip:  keep a cordalette in your touring pack.  It may be useful in an emergency or when a sledder offers you a tow and they only have one rope for two people!  They towed Jenni and I up to Silver Star Creek (where the road used to be plowed to).  We skinned up Delancey Ridge a little ways and had some great deep, dry powder turns.  After the second lap, the snow was coming down pretty hard and we were 7 miles up road from our car.  We decided to start the long ski back and were glad we did.  It took us around three hours to "cross country" out without skins or enough drop to gain any help from gravity. 

After the long, flat ski out, we were a little tired on Sunday and got a later start.  The ski shop in Mazama suggested we skin up Sandy Butte, which is right across the road from Mazama.  It was a long skin with beautiful blue skies and cold temps.  We got to the top and weren't sure if there would be any turns to be had since the trees were so tight.  We were pleasantly surprised with some great turns in, again, dry, light, powder through nicely spaced trees.  We still had to toboggan the snowshoer's tracks for a while on the way down but overall a great, unexpected tour.

Thanks again to the guy at the ski shop for the beta and Colin and Toni for the tow!  Sledders aren't so bad after all!  :)
Nice TR Pat -- sounds like a great weekend.  I haven't made it over there in the winter for several years.

Hi Pat -

I think I may have talked with you Sunday morning prior to your ski up Sandy Butte - I think we talked about Sandy and other sled assisted options up the hwy. My wife Teanna and I also stayed at the country inn last weekend but we were flat tracking all weekend. Funny we didn't cross paths earlier during meals but it was a pretty full house and we must have sat at different tables...

Great skiing over the weekend be it groomed flats or touring. Good to hear you got some good info on Sandy - nice glades up high. Later in the winter the road gets plowed up to Silver Star Creek and that opens up more non-assisted options.

Jan Kordel

Hey Pat, Nice meeting you. Glad to see you got some good turns. We did really well up at first bowl in steelhead, didn't see you two on the way out after dark so figured you got out ok. Take it easy

Reply to this TR

jan-14-15-mazama-delancey-ridge
touringp
2012-01-17 08:55:07