Home > Trip Reports > January 15, 2012, Stuben am Arlberg, Austria

January 15, 2012, Stuben am Arlberg, Austria

1/15/12
Europe
Posted by hyak_erik on 1/16/12 11:16am
Did a slack country tour in a very neat part of Austria - Stuben am Arlberg.  We rode lifts and then booted for 45 minutes.  This gave of access to some fantastic powder and a long (3km?) trek out.  Being the alps, there was an inn at the end of the trek with food and drink and then a bus to take us over to St. Anton for more adventures.

If you haven't been to Arlberg, it is really great.  Lots of piste and off-piste lines throughout this huge area. 
Wow!  Thanks for reporting from the other ski area in the world with over 100" snow on the ground, along with Mt Baker.  How long are you in Tirol?  Please report every day with photos, skiing and eating!

Sadly I am already back from vorarlberg after a too brief 2.5 day trip.  That said, we squeezed a lot of skiing, eating, and Maisel's weisse bier in our a short trip. 

Some learnings about the area:
1) It is massive - more than 80 lifts
2) Lots of ski lines all around the area.  Lots of folks ski touring as well
3) The Stuben section of the ski area is north facing and holds its powder very nicely.  2 days after the storm we were still getting untracked turns
4) The village of Stuben is a nice / quiet alternative to the craziness of St. Antun
5) There is a cool 'freeride' map of the area that we discovered as we were leaving.  www-freeride-map.com seems to have lots of these for many areas of the alps.

I will be going back for more some day...

Arlberg is my favorite ski place in the world. I am in Germany for work and made it down to Austria for some skiing. We thought about Arlberg but we were afraid that the "Weisse Ring" ski race would cause crowding and closed lifts. Did youexperience any problems from the race?

We spent Saturday one valley over in Montafon and in Sunday in the Bregenzerwald.

On the train ride back to Nuremberg, I edited some video from the weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-MahCKBNww

Glad you got to experience the Arlberg. Don't tell anyone about the fact that skiers only ski "on piste" here and fresh powder can be found days after a storm just a few feet off the main run.

That looks like some great skiing! I was in Garmisch last weekend it has been dumping for 3 days straight, over a meter of snow fell on the first day! Amazing tree skiing

Reply to this TR

january-15-2012-stuben-am-arlberg-austria
hyak_erik
2012-01-16 19:16:36