Home > Trip Reports > January 16, 2012, Kendall Stump dawn patrol

January 16, 2012, Kendall Stump dawn patrol

1/16/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by ejk on 1/16/12 5:53am
Derek, Sheel, and I headed up for a quick pre-work run at Kendall Stump.  Just a quick ski fix; we all had other plans this past weekend.

From the parking area, we re-broke trail over a couple of old skin tracks heading up the ridge.  Down low, there was maybe 3-4 inches of light fluff, and up higher there was at least mid-boot fluff while skinning (maybe 7-8 inches).  Hard crust underneath, and the bond got progressively less good as we went higher up the ridge.  We put in a bit too aggressively steep track in a few places and had the fluff slide off the crust, leading to some tricky skinning in places.  Up higher, we started seeing a bit more evidence of wind transport from one side of the ridge to the other - this was where the trees thin in the last 300 vf to the top of the ridge.  Since this was just a quick run, we ripped skins and turned around when we reached the ~4600ft flat spot atop the ridge.

The down was fun :) especially the top section.  Better conditions than we'd hoped for coming up in the morning; we mostly got enough float to stay in powder and off crust in the higher section.  Lower down where the trees get more dense it was a bit hilarious.  Bottom section was a luge course with sucker powder dusted on top of it.

[edit: I got confused between Kendall Knob/Ridge/Stump.  I think we were on the Stump - we were west of the creeks that come down from the Kendall Peak Lakes.]

Reply to this TR

january-16-2012-kendall-stump-dawn-patrol
ejk
2012-01-16 13:53:31