Home > Trip Reports > Jan 13, 2012, MSH Worm Flows

Jan 13, 2012, MSH Worm Flows

1/13/12
Posted by rootsman on 1/14/12 2:05am
The conditions in this report will probably be eclipsed by the coming snow, but here is a quick one for the historical record. Andrew and I headed up to St Helens on Friday despite some reservations. We were concerned that the snow might never soften enough for decent turns, but with the weather due to change we figured, what the hell? The road and the Marble Mountain lot were both dry, as was the first mile or so of the trail, with maddeningly patchy snow for the next mile or so after that. Once we got to the snowline, we found it to be hard frozen. Due to the firmness of the snow, we kept the skis off for the whole climb, eventually switching to crampons about 30 minutes after we really should have. By the time we reached the rim, about 1:30, relatively balmy temps and a mix of filtered/direct sunlight softened the mix of wind-deposited powder and hard pack into a (mostly) pleasant but variable corn-like glop. I had a pretty easy time of it on my AT rig. Andrew, on his ridiculous french-fry tele skis, had some challenges controlling his set up, and eventually got some face-shots out of the snowpack by applying his face directly to the snow, rather than the reverse. The snow on the deproach trail had softened to provide a smooth ride by the time we were on our way out, and that made it even tougher to have to pull the sticks off and boot the last couple miles. No photos, both cameras were left at home and come on, you already know what this one looks like.

Saw several groups heading up to spend the night (Friday) and then climb today, including a group of about 8 guys with toboggans and sleds who were planning on sledding down from the crater rim(!). Hopefully everyone will be smart given the changing conditions.

Reply to this TR

jan-13-2012-msh-worm-flows
rootsman
2012-01-14 10:05:02