Home > Trip Reports > January 11-12, 2012, Cadet Peak

January 11-12, 2012, Cadet Peak

1/11/12
Posted by TBill on 1/12/12 11:20am
Jeff (shred) and I Drove to Barlow Pass (bare road) Tuesday afternoon. One can skin the 4 miles to Monte Cristo with only a couple short carrys. We reached Monte Cristo @ dusk and setup the Megamid in the heart of town. Melted snow, ate some ramen and sardines, and got cozy for the bright moon night. Snow coverage in the hills around us wasn't great so we ventured up Mystery Hill on dust on crust to take a gander of options.

Atop Mystery Hill and able to view peaks of Cadet, Monte Cristo, and Wilmans, we decided on Cadet and a set of west facing gulleys leading to it's summit (shown on the route  here ).

Lower gulley was filled with a helping of avy char (skiable, but not pleasant), but by the time we were traversing to the apron of the upper colouir at 5600' the stoke was set as we could see a clean, smooth line up to the ridge and summit of Cadet.

Summited (7186') around 4:00ish in time for the enjoyable sunset descent. Fun, managable sluff in the upper gulley lead down to a creamy traverse across to the lower gulley picking around lurking avy debri. We followed the faster, direct 'summer trail' paralleing Glacier Crk from 4100' back into town rather than going back up Mystery Hill.

=The trail log

=Monte Cristo home sweet home

=Lower gulley

=Traverse across and into the upper couliour leading to Cadet

Nicely done gentlemen!! Great photos Trevor, hope to tour with you again soon!

NICE Trevor !!!

Looks like a nice outing! I like photos with the alpenglow. I have a couple shots of that face I took from a friends airplane if you want to check them out.

Truely inspiring. Jeff is always decending them Mt Loop peaks in great lighting. The last time I was this stoked to see a report it was him on the south west face of Columbia.

Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful images.

nice report, nice line, looks glorious!

great trips fellas!

I'm jealous! Great pics too, those sunset shots look like Trevor boarding, did you take em Jeff?

Wish you could have made it, Jim. You would of had a hay day with the photo opportunities... I did take those evening shots, as Trevors camera was on the fritz. Wish I would have brought a real camera, my phone had to do.
Here's my contribution. http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7996127

Nice work- Sweet images

Beautiful trip! 

Amazing you could drive bare road to barlow in January!

Reply to this TR

january-11-12-2012-cadet-peak
TBill
2012-01-12 19:20:00