Home > Trip Reports > January 10, Circus Couloir, Snoqualmie Mountain

January 10, Circus Couloir, Snoqualmie Mountain

1/15/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Forest McBrian on 1/10/12 12:22pm
Today some friends and I explored a couloir dropping into Thunder creek from the flanks of Snoqualmie, well north of the Crooked. From the top (a little notch below a big headwall) it is a 1,500' foot run down to the large boulders in the flats below.

It may well have been skied before, and I'm curious if anyone knows anything about it. We're calling it the Circus Couloir because it was, well, rather circus-like today. Please don't be offended if you already skied it--we just had fun exploring an obscurity and wanted something to call it for the time being.

The snow on the north side was bone-hard with a dusting on top. On the descent down the big trees skier's right of the Phantom slide we had sun-softened, fun turns. Coverage is good enough to ski all the way down.
Is this the chute dropping north from the top of the "Lundin Couloir", or were you closer to the Crooked?  If so, I've always wanted to check that out.  Seems like it might take a rap to get in there?

Neat.  Sounds like this is the chute shown in this aerial video, looker's right of the obvious wall. Nice view of the east peak descent, Crooked, Slot, and Snot as well.
Snoqualmie Mt. Flyover Video
I remember skiing off the east peak a few years ago and running into a couple of PGS folks looking for an entrance to this...

Gorp--

Yep, that's the line, just looker's right of the north trough, and left of the Crooked. That's a nice aerial view of Snoqualmie--thanks!

nice one Forest.

Great video too. Now I have no excuses the next time I get lost

forgot to add that Snoqualmie is rad. what a beautiful mountain!

There's a picture of that Coulie and that view of Mt Snoqualmie and theCrooked, Slot etc hanging up in the Alpental Lodge, by the stairs going up to the bar.

edit: Just looked at the name and date on the video, it was taken by my buddy Ben.  I flew with him a few days later to get some stills but there was low clouds/fog covering the slopes below ~5K.

Ryan, I'm always happy to provide an excuse. ;)

I think that was the couloir Eric Wehrly (Hedonaut) and I attempted to ski maybe 5 or 6 years ago. We didn't make it all the way because Eric triggered a slab near the top and was bairly able to squirm out before it ripped the length of the coulie.

Looks like a nice line. How did you exit? the same as the slot? That video did not show the lower part of the mountain.

Looks like a fun line. I've looked up it while touring back up. Seems like it would be difficult to get to the entrance - trouble? Mt Snoqualmie has so much good skiing...

Forest,  intriguing photograph!    It's just begging the question, do you have more photographs?  :P    Armchair enjoyment, you know.

Great report Forest -- Snoqualmie holds plenty of secret spots, it seems.

I spent some time reading the last few entries on your blog, too -- you've been busy!  Great stuff, I love reading your reflections on these trips.

That video makes it clear.  I was under the impression that you said north, but meant northeast, thus my Lundin question.  Thanks for sharing.  Will check it out next time I'm back there.

I saw tracks coming out of this a few years ago when touring in the area.  I've always wanted to go back and ski it but never made the trip..

since Marcus only teased and Forest is most likely out climbing or skiing something beyond titillating, his blog complete with plenty O' stoke, can be found here

And for those of you who have never had the benefit of a FMcB guided excursion, two words; DO IT!  IMO there's nothing more exhilarating and rewarding then pushing yourself past your normal comfort zone and realizing the full potential of the radtastic terrain here in our own cascades.

Heh -- thanks Seatown -- I had it in my head that his blog was in his profile, but I think I stumbled onto it elsewhere.

Forest rocks, Snoq Mtn rocks. 

Snoqualmie Mountain is truly great. It gets you thinking when you see the schematic for the original proposed ski area they have on the wall in the lodge: a lift all the way to the summit!

Thanks for the compliments, too. That's very kind.

Keep up the good work Forest. I enjoyed visiting your blog. Pretty impressive local climbs and skis. Have to keep an eye on your work!

Nice job! That run shows up pretty well in pictures from people hiking green ridge or that side of Garfield that shoot one across the valley. From that far away none of them are as good as the flyover video though.

Reply to this TR

january-10-circus-couloir-snoqualmie-mountain
Forest McBrian
2012-01-10 20:22:37