Home > Trip Reports > January 7, 2012, Chair Peak North Side

January 7, 2012, Chair Peak North Side

1/7/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by freeskier on 1/8/12 12:45pm
Been a lurker for sometime, so I thought I'd try an actual post. My brother and I hit the upper Alpi parking lot around 8:00am, joining what appeared to be a jovial, but full on assault on the Snoqualmie backcountry. Our goal was the North Side of Chair Peak which, still being fairly new to the sport, seemed to be a lofty goal. Set out at 8:15, and an hour and a half of easy skinning brought us to the base of the Upper Chair Peak Basin. There, the tracks tapered-off, as the 2 skiers ahead of us ascended a gully prior to what I believe is considered to be the actual "Notch". We pressed on into increasingly steeper and sloughier terrain until we could kick turn no longer. At that point we shouldered our gear and boot-packed (read snow-crawled!) up to the base and kick-stepped our way to the top. A little shout-out here to our wives who bought us whippets for Christmas (they must either love us, or hate us...!), and Pro Ski for stocking ice axes, as I would not have been comfortable that day without using both. The view from the top was amazing and worth the effort. After several minutes of appreciation, and with a crowd of people beginning to enter the basin behind us, we dropped in to enjoy the sweet descent down to Snow Lake. With a bomber avy forecast, and after a few ski cuts showed no signs of instability, we skied 4-6 inches of fluff on top of a firm crust down through the upper slope. About a third of the way down, we intersected the 2 skiers lines ahead of us and used their tracks as a line to the funnel out. Thanks for the reassurance guys! 4-6 inches turned into about 2 inches of fresh over the hard-pack in the steeper lower section, but it still skied nicely. 10 minutes from leaving the top, we were on the ice of Snow Lake for the routine but enjoyable return back over the divide to Source Lake, followed by the tourist-dodging toboggan run to the parking lot. All in all, a really nice day in the Soqualmie backcountry. I'll post a few pics when I get a chance, and my guess is that the nice conditions up there will probably persist into this week. Thanks to all you regular posters btw ,that give me the encouragement to try some of the cool stuff that we have here in our backyard.

Thanks for the report!

First TR and first time on Chair's north slope.  My brother Eric and I left the upper Alpental lot at about 8:00 am.  It was already getting crowded with others eyeing their own objectives.  Had really nice skin up into the Chair Peak basin, met a nice guy from Redmond on the way up.  We elected to ascend the second/furthermost notch to gain the ridge.  Candidly; really glad my bro lead this, as I got a bit nervous during the final10-15 feet.  The prospect of loosing footing and sliding a long ways with skis on pack was not appealing.  Enjoyed the views from the ridge with no wind.  The ski down was fantastic.  Just a very slight breakable crust on top of soft snow, very easy turning, appeared very well bonded.  Easy cruise back across Snow Lake.  The hardest part; avoiding the phenomenal number of people snowshoeing along the Alpental valley trail.  Great times. 

Hey bro, funny - you and I posted a TR at the same time...  I like your description better!  Good times that day - sucks to be at work now.

Great first TRs to both of you -- Brian, I can merge yours into this one, since you've got some nice pics to go with it.

Hey Marcus, great idea. Maybe just merge the pics, given that my bro sat in the front row of his AP Creative English classes in high school.

All set Brian -- you can Modify your post if you like, but I like having both of your "takes" on the day anyway.  Up to you -- thanks for the report(s)!

Reply to this TR

january-7-2012-chair-peak-north-side
freeskier
2012-01-08 20:45:49