Home > Trip Reports > January 8, 2011, Ollali Mdws Moon Ski

January 8, 2011, Ollali Mdws Moon Ski

1/8/11
Posted by jhamaker on 1/9/12 7:43am
Summary:  icy skate lanes, skateable crust off road, skateable down low.  Mostly under a bright full moon, no headlamp needed.

TR:
I finnished work after noon and discovered the fog had all burned off and the sun was out.  I could not resist heading up to the pass for some skating.

The surface was glazing as I got up to Grand Jnc.  Snacked as I wached the moon rise over Rampart Ridge.

The track was too fast to stay in it even half-way below Rockdale Lk.  As I regained elevation and headed towards Ollalie Mdws I met a patroler on a sled.  Around the next ben I see annother head-light  - nope it is the moon comming up over Snoq. Ridge.  Lovely.

Then I lost it arround the corner and it got a bit dark, but it was mostly up-hill and slow to the warm hut.  I toss annother log on the fire and heat dinner  (hot tuna and melted cheese sandwich).  Yummy.

I did the loop to the high point, then it is back to the hut for hot lava cake.  This gave me energy to get up on the flat clear-cut area of Ollalie Mdws, leave the groomed road (now icy) and skate cross country.  Fun dips.

Heading down to Cold Cr. was once again too icy to stay in the track.  I held a snow plow most of the way down w/ a few hockey stops to rest.  Finaly it flattened out at the Twin Lks Tr Hd enough to stand in the tracks and cruise all the way to the brige.  Low down the skate lane was soft enough to get an edge in for the skate back to the car.

May go to Pyramid Pk (MORA) for the next few days.
Nice work James !

Reply to this TR

january-8-2011-ollali-mdws-moon-ski
jhamaker
2012-01-09 15:43:46