Home > Trip Reports > Jan 7, 2012, Vesper

Jan 7, 2012, Vesper

1/7/12
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by altasnob on 1/8/12 11:34pm
Road is going to be tough to drive for the remainder of the Winter. We used a sled to get to the TH. No snow in the woods, but possible to skin after the second creek crossing (both were chill). Upper slopes of Vesper had a few inches of light powder on top of a firm rain crust. The rain crust was less noticeable, and the snow much deeper, off of Headlee Pass, which skied very nice.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-LgsRpWr8RoU/TwsCqyWhlqI/AAAAAAAAI6g/FjSSGq-TL6E/s512/DSC02111.JPG" />

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-V03ETkA53Hs/TwsCpZRC1iI/AAAAAAAAI6Q/ZFoUUUgiJCA/s512/P1060211.JPG" />

Awesome.. Vesper in Pow!!

I see all modes of downhill transport where in attendance.

No snowblades.

Nice work getting in there -- that ski down Headlee is great.

Very nice :)

author=altasnob link=topic=23105.msg98204#msg98204 date=1326123259]
Road is going to be tough to drive for the remainder of the Winter. We used a sled to get to the TH.

Can you clarify how much snow is on the mountain loop? I would guess only on the log-road after the turnoff before barlow pass? We started from there just fine a month ago, and things seem to have been a little too warm for snow to close mountain loop yet... thanks!

the mountain loop highway is plowed and open at least to the turnoff for Vesper, just past the Mt. Dickerman TH parking lot (with open outhouses!). No part of the road up to Vesper/Headlee Pass TH was plowed and had 12-30 inches on it. A jacked up truck tried driving up it and only made it to the bridge/culvert, less than 1/4 mile in. Having the sled saves you about 2 miles of road and 500 ft or so (don't quote me on this, but that is what it felt like to me).

Really late response, I know... been soaking up sun in San Fran for the past month and don't know what snow looks like anymore.

Nice tour gentlemen.  Glad to see you all have been getting some. Keep the stoke alive!

Reply to this TR

jan-7-2012-vesper
altasnob
2012-01-09 07:34:19