Home > Trip Reports > january 8, 2012, slippery slab circumnav...?

january 8, 2012, slippery slab circumnav...?

1/8/12
Posted by alecapone on 1/8/12 6:53am
Pulled an all nighter and went up suprise creek in the dark. Stuck with the flavour of the week since it was dark, and I was walking around in a cloud.. again. Took my sweet ol time trying to time sunrise on the summit. Timed it perfect! I'm sure the sun was in that whiteout somewhere.

Route was mostly following the summer trail to suprise, and then following the stream into thunder bowl, up, then over to cloud bowl and up to thunder lakes,  and topping out on nimbus. Was hoping for some good vis to check out the thunder lakes area, but n go.

I decended north and east to the valley below trap lake. fun run that was a maze of couloirs of all shapes, sizes, and pitch that seemed to go on and on. The snow was mostly awesome, with a couple crusty spots and hiding avi debris. Then as soon as I stopped, the sun and clear sky came out as if on que.

Rolling snow balls made the climb to trap paass a little edgy. Decending and working riders right saved a transition at the lake and took care of a nice chunk of deproach. I actually took a pic or two this time*, but can't download them til morning.

Stock picture. follow the valley from right to left, go up and over the other side. reapear on the ridge far left...

7am, coffee at Thunder Lake

wandering around, waiting for a clearing..

Thor's hammer?

hmmmm....Thor's Couloir?

9 am, sick of waiting for the sun, droppin!

lookin back up at thunder lakes..

No pictures from the climb to trap.. I was focused on climbing out. There are some from the pass that I am saving for the next report.

Nice! What can I say... you get out a lot.

Next time.. Spark plug, Surprise mtn, Thunder, and Nimbus in a day? Counter clockwise?

That would be a big day! I'm game, but not until the first bit of trail gets a little refresh.. Stoked that I kept my boards on all the way back to the car, but that was a bit abusive.

scott .. where's your camera dude?

ha.. i had it Kath!

I'm really not a very good photographer, or even photo editor for that matter. Don't ask me to take a picture of a moving object.  Mostly just take pictures for my own beta, and scrap e-booking.

Good show!  Great use of a near full moon.  The area has been on my agenda for ages.  Fun!

Reply to this TR

january-8-2012-slippery-slab-circumnav
alecapone
2012-01-08 14:53:28