Home > Forum > New glove suggestions

New glove suggestions

• ace117
  • [ace117]
More
08 Jan 2012 00:43 #203323 by ace117
New glove suggestions was created by ace117
Well after promptly losing my ski glove on the slopes I was looking for a new pair. Any suggestions? Ones that are mobile and have a high mm ratings...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2012 19:47 #203330 by JNK
Replied by JNK on topic Re: New glove suggestions
If you have money to burn, buy Hestra.

• Chuck C
  • [Chuck Cerveny]
More
09 Jan 2012 07:35 #203334 by Chuck C
Replied by Chuck C on topic Re: New glove suggestions
I got a pair of these for myself at Christmas. I've used them two weekends so far and absolutely love them. My backup is a pair of insulated Carhartt leather driver gloves. Put some snow seal on them and you are set.

www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Ca...47680%3Bcat104004180

Yep. I have no idea how to condense a URL.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
09 Jan 2012 07:46 #203335 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: New glove suggestions
Cabela's Gloves

Above the posting box there's a section called "Add BBC tags" -- in the lower left-hand corner is the button to insert a hyperlink.  Paste the URL where it says "PutURLHere" and type in whatever you want to call it where it says "PutLinkToTextHere".

I got a pair of these for myself at Christmas.  I've used them two weekends so far and absolutely love them.  My backup is a pair of insulated Carhartt leather driver gloves.  Put some snow seal on them and you are set.

www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Ca...47680%3Bcat104004180

Yep.  I have no idea how to condense a URL.

More
09 Jan 2012 08:02 #203336 by saupow
Replied by saupow on topic Re: New glove suggestions
POW Gloves is the only way to go.
Lot's of models to choose from and the right prices too.

• Chuck C
  • [Chuck Cerveny]
More
09 Jan 2012 09:47 #203340 by Chuck C
Replied by Chuck C on topic Re: New glove suggestions
Thanks Marcus. I'd usually just ignored all that stuff on the posting page.

Any suggestions for how to get the white out off my iPad screen?

More
09 Jan 2012 10:02 #203341 by lernr
Replied by lernr on topic Re: New glove suggestions
For touring I use a thin OR GTX mitt shell and if needed another OR glove or mitt under the shell. Actually, most of the time skinning up they hang from my wrists (idiot cords!) because I am hot. I put them on when I stop and when I go down.

For resort / slackcountry I use Level Superpipe gloves: xcr w/ wrist + knuckle protection and brass pyramids on the fingers  ;D

Have also  tried the Petzl belay gloves (Kyle Miller recommended), the insulated worker gloves (both of these after baking in snoseal), some BD 3Xdry softshell + wool liners, and still not 100% happy...

For glacier travel and rescue knots and such: am thinking about the Arc'teryx lether with bonded gtx membrane, and I hear Marmot has something similar now that's developed for the Army. Not convinced I need them, and the fingers on the Arc' seem like short fat italian sausages.

Ideally, I need a modular glove that has high dexterity (fit), durability (leather), with a stand-alone waterproof + breathable shell (full wpf - not just some 'strategic' parts of it), but also can be beefed up with a wool liner for colder temps, and fit in another mitt for 'super' cold temps. Still haven't found

Cheers
Ivo

• Jim_Clement
  • [Clem]
More
09 Jan 2012 11:10 - 09 Jan 2012 11:14 #203342 by Jim_Clement
Replied by Jim_Clement on topic Re: New glove suggestions
I'm trying Kinco work gloves. Can't beat the price. Coat with SnoSeal and bake for 15 minutes every few weeks. Not particularily warm, but with OR overmitts as needed thay are good for any temp. Versions with knit wrists work much better.

www.kincoworkgloves.com/kinco-ski-gloves/kinco-901-gloves/

www.kincoworkgloves.com/lined-leather-pa...n-gloves-knit-wrist/

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
09 Jan 2012 11:32 #203344 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: New glove suggestions
No problem Chuck. Maybe the dishwasher for the iPad screen? :)

Re: gloves -- I use Kinco-like leather gloves like Clem describes for most of my winter touring. They breathe well enough for the up and as long as they get regular snowsealing they stay dry all day. Price is definitely right, especially since I'm usually pretty hard on gloves.

• tortiseshell
  • [tobsmusic@gmail.com]
More
09 Jan 2012 17:25 #203346 by tortiseshell
Replied by tortiseshell on topic Re: New glove suggestions
I'm digging the OR Ambit. So far solid for wet and cold.

More
09 Jan 2012 17:58 #203347 by haggis
Replied by haggis on topic Re: New glove suggestions
I just got them too on sale, so far so good. Hoping they stay dry. Bonus feature of smartphone finger use without removing gloves.

I'm digging the OR Ambit. So far solid for wet and cold.

• Team Wally
  • [Team Wally]
More
09 Jan 2012 21:37 #203348 by Team Wally
Replied by Team Wally on topic Re: New glove suggestions
Disclaimer; I'm not sponsored by DaKine (wish I was) I was big on the Marmott two piece over the cuff expedition style gloves for years. I'd pull the liner and just wear the shell most days. Switched a couple of years ago to the Dakine goretex under the cuff and haven't looked back. A little spendy $65-$86 with a lifetime warranty. My hands usually sweat (not a lot for a fat kid mind you) and the goretex keeps me reasonable dry. I use the uninsulated version a lot for skinning cuz I do sweat a lot then. I have gotten used to the under the cuff, nice when its snowing or I hand check right before the yard sale as they don't fill with snow. I find most of my moisture comes from within, not from the outside so much so haven't used a lot of snoseal. I'm not certain how well they hold up to a lot of pit digging and winter camp activities. I'd probably choose something else for wood splitting or tire chain putting on.
Attachments:

More
09 Jan 2012 21:57 #203349 by KW
Replied by KW on topic Re: New glove suggestions
I second the Hestra Glove the Heli ski glove specifically. www.backcountry.com/hestra-heli-glove

I have at least 120 days in them 3 seasons and are still going strong. If you treat em right they will last forever. I have worn just about every brand out there and I was hard pressed to get a season out of most of them.

More
09 Jan 2012 22:11 #203350 by Plinko
Replied by Plinko on topic Re: New glove suggestions
For skinning, I use the OR Omni Gloves .  They're slightly thicker than most glove liners and seem ideal for warmer local temps.  Anything else is overkill and gets soaked from sweat.

When it's colder out, or higher up, I'm a big fan of the Firebrand Gloves .

A great value glove for dryer conditions is the EMS Work Glove .

Mitts are the warmest option but harder to ski with.  

If ropework is inevitable, the OR Stormcell makes a great 'liner' glove.  

More
10 Jan 2012 01:23 #203351 by E_N
Replied by E_N on topic Re: New glove suggestions
In a normal season I tend to destroy at least two pairs of gloves, but here's what I like:

The OR stormtracker softshell is almost unbeatable for weather down to about 25ºF. My current pair is on season three and still looking pretty good. They aren't very waterproof, but at those temperatures nothing is.

I like BD glove's fit (fairly skinny/ longer hand), but they don't really last very long. The microfiberish nose wipe sections gets brittle and shatter into a nice cheese cloth after a few months of use. I've had this happen on two pairs of "BD punisher" ice climbing gloves and one pair of lighter "bd access" spring weight gloves over the last few years. At the time it was good economics to stock up and wear out a few pairs of those, and I think I still easily got my money's worth (S&C @ $30 a pair). My advice there is to avoid the models with that type of fabric.

More
10 Jan 2012 07:56 #203355 by lernr
Replied by lernr on topic Re: New glove suggestions

Dang, I thought Arc'teryx were expensive!

This seems the same technology as Arc'teryx, though - and the fingers look like sausages too :) Since description says something about the Army - I guess these are what I heard about, I only thought it's Marmot...

• tazi phillips
  • [taziphillips07]
More
13 Jul 2021 00:15 - 13 Jul 2021 00:28 #235172 by tazi phillips
Replied by tazi phillips on topic Re: New glove suggestions

For skinning, I use the OR Omni Gloves .  They're slightly thicker than most glove liners and seem ideal for warmer local temps.  Anything else is overkill and gets soaked from sweat.

A great value glove for dryer conditions is the EMS Work Glove .

Mitts are the warmest option but harder to ski with.  

If ropework is inevitable, the OR Stormcell makes a great 'liner' glove.  
Last edit: 13 Jul 2021 00:28 by tazi phillips. Reason: Adding more information