Home > Trip Reports > January 7, 2012, Mt. Rainier ski-pole arrests

January 7, 2012, Mt. Rainier ski-pole arrests

1/7/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jhamaker on 1/7/12 12:19pm
What was I thinking leaving my Voile self-arrest grip at home?

Conditions:
Over half the turns we made today hit the 1/8" ice (blue/clear) layer under 1 to 8" of nice new snow.  Heavier snow off of Mazama Ridge down to Fourth Crossing - best skiing, few times bottoming out on the ice layer.

Not enough snow to cause major problems avy wise, we knew Pan Face would want crampons, so we headed strait up to Golden Gates.  Perfect booting conditions.  Easy to kick through the ice to the snow beneath w/ the ice supporting you arch.

Story:
I knew I was in trouble just after I got out of the wind-scoop and onto the face.  Two turns then my edges let go while trying to side slip.  Dull edges on too much side cut? User error?

Letting go of one pole I arrested w/ the other.  Hmm, both hands clinging to just above my basket while the new loose snow carries my other pole nearly to the bottom of the slope.  Argh.  I need both hands to stay in arrest.  No way to get my skis off w/o hands - too awkward, and If the skis were off, the leashes would still be there.  My edges were not getting a re-purchase.  I let the pole wiggle somehow, loose purchse and slide annother ten feet before arresting.  This time I can hold on one handed and punch an arm through the crust.  Skis off, foot purchase kicked in, SAVED!  Skis off, but now of course I still have to walk down to fetch my other pole.  Only Robie was fool enough to follow, four others wait at the entrance top.  I stay out from under Robie and fetch my pole.  Great excercise. 
We head to the back bowls of Mazama ridge and *cut    it  up*!
Only Robie was fool enough to follow
You can say that again! this all happened at east of  golden gate
There is some good skiing to be had in wind protected areas and lower angled slopes.

LOL.  Regine and I watched Robie (we think) take the 1st run down 9-1-0.  Scrape, scrape, powder--ski tips wiggling, skis wanting to go their separate ways  ...  so we just went as far as the Stevens-Van Trump-Sluiskin Monument and headed back and actually had very good dense powder skiing to 4th Xing.  My knee is slowly getting better, not quite right yet.

We then shifted to north slopes and the skiing was quite better. Today (Sunday )was over the top with ice layer being moderated by the sun. the" Hammaker slide path" from saturday was quite visible today just east of golden gate

Yeah, I saw it Sunday; and we, too, had better skiing than Saturday; managed to find some super powder.

Reply to this TR

january-7-2012-mt-rainier-ski-pole-arrests
jhamaker
2012-01-07 20:19:41