Home > Trip Reports > january 7, 2012, stevens pass couloir

january 7, 2012, stevens pass couloir

1/7/12
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by alecapone on 1/7/12 7:43am
Historic day on skyline ridge. With the help of Snoholic, I was finally able to add the finall section of my sklyline heather ridge enchanment. Both knowledgable locals, we took turns showing each other the right way until we where left with no where to go but down.

Ended up in some couloir. Very steep. Very good snow. Lighty sluffy, only because it was so dang steep, but only managable sluffing. We safely shared the same narrow slot for about 1,500' of leap frogging from safe spot to safe spot.

Some crux negotianing towrds the bottom, but it was easy to find good snow throughout.

Not sure of the name, but you can see it from the highway... did you see us getting rad? ....  and this trip was snoholic idea. We just swithced up the usuall routes a little. Awesomly fun day for sleeping in and being home by 3.

Ps... don't follow our tracks. Not that any sensible person would. There was soooo much better snow up there. Besides, It was narrow and we left it yucky.

Good job finding your entrance!  It can be tricky and getting into the wrong slot can be a royal pain.

At what point did you hit the old RR grade?  Anywhere near one of the Avy sheds?

Nice to get a new perspective.

Nice pics for a telephone!

I was half tempted to go and get some from the road today.

James... no snow sheds. Are there some below skyline? I'm only familiar with the sheds on Windy.  We hit the hairpin @ 3,600 so we didn't go all the way down to Wellington.

testing....

Reply to this TR

january-7-2012-stevens-pass-couloir
alecapone
2012-01-07 15:43:47