Home > Trip Reports > February 9, 2005, alpental dawn patrol, upper nash

February 9, 2005, alpental dawn patrol, upper nash

2/9/05
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by kam on 2/8/05 10:17pm
i know there's a handful of posts about Alpental on TAY, but i couldn't resist..., especially when it was like this (skier skykilo):

what, you don't believe me?  okay, click here: ] ].  we found only a few tracks, but now there are at least six more. as for rocks, i didn't really notice any riding on my 135mm homemade skis, but then again my definition of hitting rocks is different than most. ;D
Alpental did NOT suck today.

Thanks for the wonderful pics, Kam.

I'll have photos and video up at some point.

;D

PS: three coreshots between Sky, me, and Justin. It's still a bit thin.

As any venture tends to do this season, mine and others' p-tex suffered miserably.  But on the other hand, it was also graced with a bountiful depth of fluffy white goodness.  The translucent steed led a blissful and capricious existence, right up until its inevitable deconvolution at the hands of voracious earth-excrement.

All will be glad to know that it is indeed possible to emulate the genuine backcountry experience, while still remaining within imaginary boundaries of relative safety.  Your knuckledragging hero slimly avoided braining and/or otherwise maiming himself as a result of nothing less than trying to look good on camera.  

Finding myself at once precariously heel-edged on a 45 degree rock slab (shrouded deviously in several inches of powdery deception), and staring down at a concatenation of odd dropoffs, I came to the realization that moving in any direction from the spot (forced upon me by hubris) would likely result in the fracture of an assortment of the usual (and probably a few more important) bones.  A suggestion from one of my comrades, worded "just pretend you're Steven Koch!" persuaded me to continue to inch my way closer to my now inevitable suicide, but then this was thwarted by a miraculous increase in cohesion immediately to my right.  Encouraged by the prospect that now only the some less important bones would be shattered, I continued my tenuous traverse, and eventually cheated gravity by escaping into a wooded area.

I later came to the realization that my antics likely led me to miss my morning classes, which is okay because I am past the point of having to jump through those kinds of hoops anymore, at least that seems to be the case.  This may not be true for others, who will remain unnamed unless they beg to identify themself.

Alpental did NOT suck today.

Thanks for the wonderful pics, Kam.

I'll have photos and video up at some point.

;D

PS: three coreshots between Sky, me, and Justin. It's still a bit thin.

Coreshots or no coreshots, I still can't convince myself that I'm glad that I came to work.  Great photos as usual, Kam.

I'm hoping to make it out sometime in the next week if the weather holds.

This may not be true for others, who will remain unnamed unless they beg to identify themself.

This hurts me.

I let morning classes persuade me not to go (and lack of a car).  Now I am paying the cruel, jealous price.

And now I'm paying the price of not-much-sleep.  But I guess the 2000ft+ of nice morning powder was worth it  ;D

Hahaha, wtf, Kam, I think you have a magic camera that makes everyone look awesome, and all snow, powder... ;D

Excellent trip! Sorry I missed you guys this morning, but I'm sure glad that someone got out on a great day like today.

Dawn Patrol next week anyone?

And now I'm paying the price of not-much-sleep.  But I guess the 2000ft+ of nice morning powder was worth it  ;D

Ditto! A beautiful morning with a great powder breakfast!  ;D  pbeliz, philfort, skykilo, & username: Nice meeting you all in Edelweiss bowl this morning!
--Chris

..... magic... ;D

what, more magic?  okay.  ...but not always ;D

does a worm p**p dirt?

what, more magic?  okay.  ...but not always ;D

I am in awe of your prodigious ability to portray the extremely powdery conditions today!
:D

I would much prefer a Dusk Patrol, I can't regularly miss classes. Leave Seattle at 2ish would work great. Anyone?

Some screen-grabs from the video camera:

Can you spot the snowboarder?

Justin showing how boarders do it better

It wasn't all smooth powder:

Some screen-grabs from the video camera:

Can you spot the snowboarder?

Fire in the sky-

That fire in the sky is quite nice. Great shot! I see sunrise from my bike at dawn, and today looked good with the freshies on the peaks. I've been itching for some pow on the skis. Thanks for showing us what you're tasting.

I would much prefer a Dusk Patrol, I can't regularly miss classes. Leave Seattle at 2ish would work great. Anyone?

I would be interested for sure, pbelitz.  Just say when.

yo, sweet shots.  wish i was there instead of dreaming of being there...

I made a video, but it also includes our Saturday trip to Alpental, and our Sunday trip to Hidden Lake Peak.

http://www.students.washington.edu/pbelitz/2005/weekend_fun_small.wmv

~15Mb.

Paul: your video does NOT suck!!  ;D

Ok, but here is one that sucks:

Ok, but here is one that sucks:

no way!  nice work!

You guys make it look so good . . . sorry I missed it. Home trying to keep the last vestiges of the flu from turning to pneumonia.

Justin's rock traverse looks sketchier than Sky's huck on Blum, IMO

Justin's rock traverse

The scary thing is you can't really see the actual nasty bit.  Apparently it's just a nice little ski run with more snow...

more beta on hidden lake peaks, pretty please!! how far is the road drivable, how were the woods, can one skin thru the forest, how was the coverage on the open slopes ? thanx!

I made a video, but it also includes our Saturday trip to Alpental, and our Sunday trip to Hidden Lake Peak.

We drove to the TH with 4WD, we skinned the woods but couldn't ski them, once out of the woods coverage was good.

I like your vid, Phil!  :)

What program do you edit them with?

Just a heads-up: I added some footage and changed some stuff on my viddy. Just in case you want to torture yourself by watching it again.  :)

Same URL.

Reply to this TR

february-9-2005-alpental-dawn-patrol-upper-nash
kam
2005-02-09 06:17:23