Home > Forum > All mountain ski reviews

All mountain ski reviews

• ace117
  • [ace117]
More
01 Jan 2012 17:55 #203215 by ace117
All mountain ski reviews was created by ace117
Hey, in light of the new year I was reminiscing about past skis I have owned and that served me well and ones that I want. I was just wanting to start a thread on good all mountain skis from the past, the present, or the future. Come on guys! We have all had that one good pair of skis, that have seen you through the deep powder, the sun cups, the corn snow, the ice, and much more.

Post a favorite ski of yours that you have had or want to have and/or you opinion on good all mountain skis.

Happy new year guys!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 261skier
  • [skiermike]
More
01 Jan 2012 18:56 #203203 by 261skier
Replied by 261skier on topic Re: All mountain ski reviews
K2 Apache Outlaws

• trees4me
  • [trees4me]
More
02 Jan 2012 15:25 #203253 by trees4me
Replied by trees4me on topic Re: All mountain ski reviews
Old school pick:
solly force 9 2s

It's the ski I remember being the most in tune with and liking the best, but that's all subject to my nostalgic memory.

All mountain is so relative and varied now... People ski very different sticks in all conditions now. It's really just gotten to the point of personal preference with very little in common for a category.

More
02 Jan 2012 19:05 #203259 by Koda
Replied by Koda on topic Re: All mountain ski reviews

We have all had that one good pair of skis, that have seen you through the deep powder, the sun cups, the corn snow, the ice, and much more.

Rossignol CUT 11.5 we my first dedicated touring ski when I swapped out resort bindings for my first pair of Fritchies. Many memories on these skis, I've upgraded a few years ago but still keep these and are still in great shape.

More
02 Jan 2012 19:37 #203263 by GerryH
Replied by GerryH on topic Re: All mountain ski reviews
Backcountry skis as stand alone skis have been a recent phenomena, last 10-15 years inthis country. Back in the late 60's and 70's the Miller Soft ruled the deep. Wide, with little sidecut, and oh so soft flexing, it really was a forerunner to the modern rockered skis, as the Miller was so soft the tip and tail naturally floated considerably above your foot level in a big arc. Great in deep ski but painful on the hardpack, with no effective edge. I then remember the Volkl Snow Ranger as a great early midfat ski - heavy but strong in mixed goods, a quiver of one for some. The K2 Alaska Launcher was another semiheavy midfat in the late 90's that cruised the backcountry pretty well. Now we have more great skis than I can ever remember. I'm now skiing the Nordica 'Hell & Back'; 135x98x125, rockered tip, conventional sidewall, flat tail, camber under the foot, lightweight, relatively affordble, 185 cm long with Dynafits on them. So far, best backcountry ski I've ever skied-killer on icey steep crusts (early December), sick on groomers and an incredible pleasure in new deep snow (this last weekend). I watched a friend ski the Hell & Back's big counsin, the Hell Unleashed, which has rocker tip and tail, 145 tip width, and it just rocks on the steep & deep. Skis just seem to keep getting more interesting, and better! Gerry

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
02 Jan 2012 20:44 #203264 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: All mountain ski reviews
Voile Vector -- an excellent ski and very affordable, but the 180cm pretty much out of stock for this season already

www.wildsnow.com/5377/voile-vector-ski-review/