Home > Trip Reports > February 6, 2005, Paradise

February 6, 2005, Paradise

2/6/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JW on 2/7/05 8:02am
Ya know for such a crappy season, I sure have skied some great powder!  8)  Met the usual suspects for some great Paradise tracks.  It's nice to see winter return----
http://home.comcast.net/~jwvideo6/images/WintersReturn2605.wmv  You guessed it! Another corny ski video  8)
Another fine Spielberg Keeper.
Keep up the good work, Jerman.

Jerry - good video and music!  Another beautiful day at Mt. Rainier!

Nice job Jer, thanks for the Tuesday morning smiles  ;D

Jerry- That's a fun movie, but what's all that grainy white stuff??  Oh yeah, that'd be snow!!

You were the powerhouse working the fall line on Bundy's.  I was taking mental notes and hope to be that direct and fearless in the fall line some day.

It was great to finally meet "the regulars."  Characters, I'm telling you!  I'll be riding your coat tails more often...if I can keep up.  Ron and crew vanished into the flurries like true pros...a clean escape perfectly executed.

Amy and I did dig a very quick pit on the run we decided is "Amy's Glory," above and to the right of Bundy's looking up.  SSW, 33 degree slope, 6180', 11" fresh unconsolidated powder on top of frozen crust cinderblock.  The stuff below the powder was so hard that there was a real possibility of breaking the shovel in digging.  The 11" of powder crumbled on each early strike, then what was left sheared at the crust on stike 11.  Depite two previous intact ski tracks down the slope we decided to retreat to a shallower angled ridgelet that was somewhat wind scoured.  Didn't see any slabs break all day, but there was some light sluffing on some steeper angles that were ski cut.

Great powder day at Paradise.

Hey Doug, thanks--- good to ski with you! Join us any time.  8)

Reply to this TR

february-6-2005-paradise
JW
2005-02-07 16:02:45