Home > Trip Reports > December 26, 2011, Mt. Rainier, area

December 26, 2011, Mt. Rainier, area

12/26/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Warren on 12/26/11 12:00pm
This was my wife€™s first time on her Randonee gear coming from 20+ years of Telemark skiing. The snow today was less than perfect with about a ¼ inch layer of crust on top. We headed into Edith Basin, then across to where we could drop down to the skin track for Mazama Ridge. The ski down to the skin track was better than expected with our skis plowing through the crust. Once on top of Mazama Ridge we headed to the bowls on the east side and made a few runs with the same crust layer. We then headed back over the ridge and down to the Paradise Valley road and followed it back to the truck calling it a day. The wife skied great with her heels locked and I have a feeling her Tele gear will be collecting dust like mine is.

Warren
Thanks for posting your first TR.  All my old telemark friends have made the switch to randonee, well most of them.  ;)

Welcome to TAY, Warren.
And thanks for the report.

author=Zap link=topic=22917.msg97595#msg97595 date=1325004193]
Thanks for posting your first TR.  All my old telemark friends have made the switch to randonee, well most of them.  ;)

Yeah, Regine won't.  She now mostly parallel skis on her tele gear and skis lift-served on alpine gear.

Thank you for the welcome. I’ve gone to Turns All Year for several years now for condition reports and ideas for trips. I will try and do my part by entering helpful reports when time allows.

Thanks,
Warren

Reply to this TR

december-26-2011-mt-rainier-area
Warren
2011-12-26 20:00:12