Home > Trip Reports > February 7, 2005, Alpental

February 7, 2005, Alpental

2/7/05
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Daniel on 2/6/05 8:04pm
Mark and I went back up this morning. There was probably 4 or 5 new inches of fresh on top of what we skied on Saturday, and then the wind blew it around a little. There were lots of little pillows on some lee slopes, but it was still surprizingly light. We skinned up to Lower International, but didn't ascend the entire slope. It looked like it was just core shots waiting to happen, although we did see what must have been Michael's tracks in one spot that looked ok. We decided that we have had enough base repair for the season, so we stuck to the lower slopes that were not rock spotted.

It was a glorious morning in the mountains! Almost no wind, clear skys and unconsolidated powder! Have a good week everyone and keep thinking snow.

Pictures:
Daniel starts down from just below Lower International
Daniel- glad you got out this morning; thanks for the invite, I would've tried to get out if I had been back in town last night...all that fresh snow sure looked nice while flying over the mountains on the descent to Sea-Tac Airport this morning.
--Chris

What a fantastic morning!  Clear skies, the temperature was just right, and the snow was really nice.  I shot some pictures also, but they're almost all blurry.

There was a lot of evidence of wind action on the snow, though, and some of those buildups might be problematic when they consolidate.   If there's a warming cycle, you'll probably have to be a bit more careful on the steeper slopes.

We skinned up to Lower International, but didn't ascent the entire slope. It looked like it was just core shots waiting to happen, although we did see what must have been Michael's tracks in one spot that looked ok.

Hey Daniel,

good to see you had a great morning!...no - I am not jealous ;-)
The tracks you saw were probably not mine since I went up on the left side (next to Armstrong and then under Edelweiss). Pretty rocky as well there but it was possible to find a decent "minimal scratch path".

Remember Where's Waldo?

Can you find my name?

Edit: I pulled pic so the author could post his own, I just thought it was pretty cool as the above discussion was about tracks!  (and yes, that was Alpental Monday morning)

Reply to this TR

february-7-2005-alpental
Daniel
2005-02-07 04:04:54