Home > Trip Reports > December 22, 2011, Summit West

December 22, 2011, Summit West

12/22/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 12/22/11 7:28am
Another sunny day with the powder from yesterday and a very quiet hill.  I pulled into the Summit West lot late morning and was amazed that there wasn't a mass of humanity skinning the slopes.  The slopes had tracks but the only folks around were Jim and his daughter who were taking a break after a couple runs.  I am very pleased to see another trail breaker being exposed to the tradition of breaking trail for old people and allowing them first tracks.  Good work, Jim.

The temperatures were in the mid 20's during my visit and a slight easterly breeze maintained the cool temperatures and preserved the excellent snow quality.  With Summit West being relatively low elevation, the inversion was not present .  There's something magical about skinning a groomed slope with 4" of light powder, the snow crystals glistening,  the sun warming your body yet not affecting the quality of the snow, a blue ski background and plenty of untracked terrain to leave your signature on the slopes.  Here's a couple of photos of the slopes today.

#1 - Powder 8 training slope

#2 - My lonesome signature  ;)
Get it while it's good. Easy access and hero 4-5" fluff on a very firm base. West is closed until Monday. The temps today were low enough to preserve the powder. I just have to post the first TAY photo of my daughter who, as Zap says, is being groomed as the trail breaking engine of the future.

Heck yah, I've NEVER seen summit like that, well...  ever.    Glad you had fun!

Nice ! I noticed they weren't open on wed as i was leaving. I was shocked being holidays and all?? Way to keep the powder Zap.

Go Sara!  Seeing those gorgeous, nested tracks at Summit West is a rare sight.  It's great that you two chose a perfect day to be there.  This has motivated me to create a profile and learn how to post a message.  I have lurked TAY for years, but never posted.  Now is as good a time as ever.

author=Margy link=topic=22879.msg97495#msg97495 date=1324684397]
Go Sara!  Seeing those gorgeous, nested tracks at Summit West is a rare sight.  It's great that you two chose a perfect day to be there.  This has motivated me to create a profile and learn how to post a message.  I have lurked TAY for years, but never posted.  Now is as good a time as ever.

Love it -- great inspiration for your first post :)

I saw what is left of your turns in today's overcast weather.  I even snapped a pic for good measure, but it's not worth sharing.  Yours are so much better!

nice work Zap!!!!!!

It's like a bizarre alter-universe! Surprised the lines stayed up so long!  Met Anne the Fitness Machine (from Seattle) the day before and put in about 6 of the lines in the photo before working the 'front face' a bit.  Way to keep 'em tight everyone!

Reply to this TR

december-22-2011-summit-west
Zap
2011-12-22 15:28:38