Home > Trip Reports > December 21, 2011, Da Slot

December 21, 2011, Da Slot

12/21/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by snoholic on 12/21/11 7:33am
We went looking for the mythical powder and believe it or not there was some. Used ski crampons for most of skin up. The dust on crust would have been tough without them, partner did not have them and had to boot a good chunk of the steeps. Entry of Slot to the first corner was bullet proof ice (No edge hold). I was very glad to have a whippet as it saved my ass a few times. Conditions improved after that eventually turning to nice 2-4" of blower over hard crust from about the midpoint on down. We were glad to be the first ones on it today since most of the fresh came down with us. Was pretty steep and crusty climbing out of the basin on the standard return to the Phantom, Ice axe and whippet were again handy.

Happy Solstice
oooooooohhhhhhhh yeah

Awesome job getting it while it was good! Saw your party and lines from across the street... speaking of which was also stellar. 7-8 inches of dry, light powder up top drifted to waist deep in places combined with bluebird skies made today beyond ideal!

Nice! Sadly, wondering how it was up there today from the city. SO thanks!

I saw those tracks and wondered about the conditions. Thanks for the report Zach! I didn't recognize your tmobile email address last night, now I know who it was.  ;)
Ditto to what pipedream said, it was stellar at Alpy with freshies and bluebird conditions.
Now let it snow!

Forgive my ignorance... Where is Da Slot?

author=mikerolfs link=topic=22871.msg97426#msg97426 date=1324578094]
Forgive my ignorance... Where is Da Slot?

Also known as the "The Slot Couloir" off of the northwest ridge of Snoqualmie Mountain.   

Martin Volken describes the route in his book.

http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Skiing-Snoqualmie-Falcon-Guides/dp/0762710667/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8

Photo of the Slot here, from the book:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nordique/2356921998/

Reply to this TR

december-21-2011-da-slot
snoholic
2011-12-21 15:33:40