Home > Trip Reports > December 19, 2011, Bryant Couloir

December 19, 2011, Bryant Couloir

12/19/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Eckels on 12/20/11 2:18pm
While reading trip reports late at night I decided that crappy snow conditions and work at three the next day were poor excuses to not get out. I quickly packed my bags and sent emails to potential partners.

I awoke to low clouds and an empty inbox, but the stoke was still within me and the avalanche conditions were allowing for solo travel. I notified my friend Tim at Hyak of my plans to ski the Bryant Couloir and carried a radio.

On my way to source lake I was delighted to see the sun shining on Chair and Bryant through edge of the cloud layer. I have skied extensively in the Alpental valley but this was my first time attempting the Bryant Couloir. Once on the bench above Great Scott Bowl I faced my only significant route finding problem. There was a track that went climbed to the top of a bench with some decent exposure along the way, and there was also a low route that went around the corner. I knew that the high track was the standard route but difficulty with traction skinning earlier in the day led me to explore the low route. It took me around the corner and into a chute that quickly flattened out beneath me. From here the way to the top was easy.

The views at the top were tremendous, and it was hard to convince myself to leave them. Unfortunately i would be late to work if i dallied too long. The snow on the way down to the col quite fun but quickly deteriorated to death cookies encased in breakable crust. Fortunately when the pitch steepened at the crux there was no longer a crust and the snow held an edge excellently, I was stoked! I bailed on the lower portion of the chute because i couldn't tell if it went on my ascent and saw no tracks entering it. Once the pitch mellowed the snow returned to crud and i traversed and kick turned my way down to source lake.

I was very bummed i didn't bring my picture camera, but i was equipped with my go pro http://vimeo.com/33986867
Great video, I need a Go pro pretty bad!

Reply to this TR

december-19-2011-bryant-couloir
Eckels
2011-12-20 22:18:52