Home > Trip Reports > February 06, 2005, Mazama Ridge, MRNP

February 06, 2005, Mazama Ridge, MRNP

2/6/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by kam on 2/6/05 7:08am
we found at least 12+" of light, unconsolidated powder.  Kelvin looks happy here:

overall, the skiing was fantastic.  there is some evidence of wind slabs on lee slopes, and the bonding between the new snow and the rain/sun/ice crust seems poor (it looked like the storm came in cold).  but because the snow was light, it didn't seem to be much of a problem on moderately steep slopes.

more photos: ]
Great photos Kam,
  It was nice meeting you up there on the ridge.  I had read about your skis on your website, and thought it quite interesting when they pulled up next to me above that eastern bowl.

it was dumping pretty hard, and pretty wet down around Paradise.  I was almost talked into skiing a run down to the road way below paradise, but didn't want to push my luck.

What a great day,
-Gus

Your pictures look really familiar, kam.  I think I saw both you and maybe Gus too at the top of that same bowl - when about ten folks showed up all at the same time, then scraped all the snow off that short slot through the trees before all had a great run lower down.  Someone was shooting video down near the bottom.  I wonder if that video will show up on this TR thread?  

What a great day!  I think the best snow was actually lower down in the trees where the snow felt bottomless.

It kept snowing harder and harder as the afternoon went on - making the poor bond to the crust (mentioned by kam) more consequential as the snow piled up.  On our last run around 4pm, we actually backed off skiing that same bowl (from the south side this time) after a small loose snow slide was triggered about 50 feet uphill from my friend Ryan as he was messing with his binding.  Still got some face shots skiing a line right next to the trees, though.  All in all a much needed day in the snow for me.  My students will find a cheerier face tomorrow than they have been experiencing the past few weeks.

There were 8+" of new snow on the car when we got to the parking lot.  It was still snowing hard when we left.  Let it snow!

Nice photos Kam and crew, we were at Paradise too but because of family obligations (no not the super bowl) we had to be back in town early.  Did manage to come home with huge smiles on our faces due to the super snow in various bowls.    8)

Pat, Rob, Mugs, Eva, and I were among the crowd (well, at least until my "wardrobe malfunction").  Here's Eva doing it Austrian-style.

Just checked the Paradise cam, what am I doing here at work today?

I was asking myself the same thing while driving in to work.

It never ceases to amaze me as to how good it can be at MRNP! I too was sking the east facing bowl of Mazama Ridge. It was great.

I dug a Rucschblock on the lee-east facing slope on one of the steeper areas and got a score of 4(the slope slide easily on the first jump) and I certainly considered the steeper slopes prone for a slab  with about 10-12 " of new on a rain crust.As a result we stayed on the 30 deg and less slopes mainly.

As a comparison, did anybody else dig a Rucscblock and if so what scores did you get. Just trying to see how consistent results where. 8)

Great photos Kam,
  It was nice meeting you up there on the ridge.

Gus: it was nice to meet you too!  yeah, Kelvin and i had a blast on our new skis.   with a 135mm shovel and 108mm underfoot, it was hard to go wrong with the conditions we had on Sunday.  ;D

Nice photos Kam and crew, we were at Paradise too but because of family obligations (no not the super bowl) we had to be back in town early.  Did manage to come home with huge smiles on our faces due to the super snow in various bowls.    8)

Mad_Dog: thanks.  too bad we missed you guys!  maybe next time.. :)

I dug a Rucschblock on the lee-east facing slope on one of the steeper areas and got a score of 4(the slope slide easily on the first jump) and I certainly considered the steeper slopes prone for a slab  with about 10-12 " of new on a rain crust. ... 8)

Scotsman: what layer was the failure?  after digging around in a few places, i found that it was the new stuff that was sliding.  the crystals below the crust appeared well rounded, but i suppose that can change if we get a large enough temperature gradient.  also, i found on certain wind-deposited areas cohesive snow that broke in small chunks, but only in isolated areas.  for the most part the snow was light and fluffy.  what a great day.

-kam

I was out there yesterday too. I concur with the fat ski comments. I now have 106mm underfoot. However, I hit more rocks and ground debris yesterday than I have all this season. Even the end of November seemed to have a better base developed than yesterday, oh well, maybe I wasn't skiing enough lee slopes.

Reply to this TR

february-06-2005-mazama-ridge-mrnp
kam
2005-02-06 15:08:52