Home > Trip Reports > 12.18.2011, Wheeler Peak, New Mexico

12.18.2011, Wheeler Peak, New Mexico

12/18/11
US elsewhere
Posted by skykilo on 12/18/11 9:01am
Hello TAY!  Had a great day in the winter sun today!

http://skisickness.com/post/viewtopic.php?t=320
Wow, flashback -- Wheeler was one of my parents first hikes when we moved to New Mexico when I was six.  I still have the backpack my dad took to the top.

I had no idea what it looked like, as we moved away from NM when I was 12 and I never went up it.  Wonga -- that looks fantastic!  Thanks Sky!

That's actually Lake Fork Peak, which is directly across the valley from Wheeler.  I'll post a picture of Wheeler next time I do Lake Fork.  It's a sweet little alpine oasis up there.  I was the only person above the lake today as far as I could tell. 

Beautiful terrain.  Have you driven north to Wolf Creek Pass and one of the biggest snowpacks around this season.  ;)

That baby has a ton of lines on it!

author=skykilo link=topic=22821.msg97254#msg97254 date=1324257802]
That's actually Lake Fork Peak, which is directly across the valley from Wheeler.  I'll post a picture of Wheeler next time I do Lake Fork.  It's a sweet little alpine oasis up there.  I was the only person above the lake today as far as I could tell. 

Ahh, thanks -- I've sent it off to dad to see if it looks familiar... I'll have to head down there to ski sometime.

author=Robie link=topic=22821.msg97258#msg97258 date=1324263445]
That baby has a ton of lines on it!

The terrain is quite nice and I generally don't see people up there.  The snow totals are meager compared to the Cascades but the shady aspects can hold powder for a month.

author=Zap]
... Wolf Creek ...

I have been to Wolf Creek a few times over the years, Zap, and they do get impressive quantities of snow.  But if I'm going to drive that far I'd be hard pressed not to keep going to Crested Butte or Silverton or Telluride for the terrain.

Great!  Grew up skiing in northern NM.  A great mix of cultures and terrains.

Ironically, I was on an airplane yesterday flying from Tuscon to Minneapolis before heading home to Seattle. We flew right past Wheeler, and I pointed out to the guy sitting next to me what awesome terrain that would be to ski.....glad you where down there enjoying it! It looked like a beautiful day.

Sky,  It looks like pretty good conditions down there right now.  Nice to see Lake Fork hasn't pulled out big!  You should link up Vallecito and Lake Fork in a day. 

So what is that in the cirque to the right of Lake Fork Peak? It sure looks like a rock glacier up in the bowl, and extensive moraines on the slopes below, even down near treeline. A quick Google search now turned up nothing useful.

Reply to this TR

12-18-2011-wheeler-peak-new-mexico
skykilo
2011-12-18 17:01:03