Home > Trip Reports > December 17, 2011, Mt Rainier, Van Trump Creek

December 17, 2011, Mt Rainier, Van Trump Creek

12/17/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Kenji on 12/18/11 3:52am
Started from the Comet Fall TH after deciding the Nisqually creek dodn't have enough snow for easy travel.  There were no cars in either parking lots; we figured everybody must be up higher around Paradise.  Shortly after the bridge, we booted up 200' to a upper meadow through steep hillside.  This approach avoids some complication further up on the trail and I had wanted to check it out. Fortunately Sally was willing to try.  That put us on the East side of the Van Trump Creek, which we followed up to the second water fall.  We then skinned up to a point on Cushman Crest.  The first 1000' was on nice corn, then some interesting ski out.  Back at the car w/o needing a headlamp!

Warm and sunny, a beautiful day to be out with new scenery.
Hah, I thought that was you as we drove past Comet Falls.  What did you forget in your car? :P

Went back for a paper map left behind.  I have to have my gps and a map, just like peanut-butter-and-jelly!  Sounds like you had a good day too.

I am interested in your approach variation, after trekking in there last summer and losing the trail under snow shortly above "the bridge" (I assume you mean the second bridge up by the Falls).  We tromped up the ridge ~ 300 vf above and slightly east of the bridge and then lost the trail.  Straight up the fall line seemed rational but semi-cliffed out, so we then traversed east to an obvious creek drainage and straight up that to open snow (?VTP proper).  Inefficient but OK, next time will be faster.  I have never been there when the trail was actually open.  Can you give some pointers?   

The red path on the map is a popular ski route and I believe that's where you are wondering about.  The blue line is the variation we took and about the half way between two bridges. I'm not sure if it is any better than the std route after all, may be viable when the side hill traverse gets steep and too icy.  The meadow above is peaceful and quiet.

Reply to this TR

december-17-2011-mt-rainier-van-trump-creek
Kenji
2011-12-18 11:52:05