Home > Trip Reports > December 17, Snowplow Mountain (Mt Adams)

December 17, Snowplow Mountain (Mt Adams)

12/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by pabloson on 12/17/11 12:41am
Has anybody ever made turns on this little Butte?  It has some great lines on the NE face thanks to the fire a couple of years ago.  I got up there yesterday on my touring skis and booted up to the summit.  There's enough snow now, but the snow quality is not good.  The 82 road is plowed deep into the mountain this year for some logging and you can get easier access to all of these little buttes at the SE side of Mt Adams.  Snipes butte looks like a nice run too, but the snowpack is a bit thin on the sun exposed aspects. 

It's been beautiful touring weather on the logging roads on Mt Adams for most of the month!
How thick is the vegetation below 4000' in this region, is it skiable? This area is typically off my radar due to access, but if logging allows there are a few places of interest along with your subject, Sleeping Beauty and especially Steamboat mountain are reaching 5K

Steamboat mtn

author=Koda link=topic=22808.msg97222#msg97222 date=1324148771">
How thick is the vegetation below 4000' in this region, is it skiable? This area is typically off my radar due to access, but if logging allows there are a few places of interest along with your subject, Sleeping Beauty and especially Steamboat mountain are reaching 5K

Steamboat mtn

There's not a whole lot of open country below 4000'.  But, the vegetation is changing rapidly the last few years due to the Spruce Budworm mess,  + fire+ logging.  Snipes mountain is now skiable because of the the 1st two, and Snowplow as well although it's tight on the NE face I mentioned.  On the south side of Snowplow, lots of logging = some good turns, but not steep enough for powder skiing.  On Sleeping Beauty I think it would be good even though it is heavily forested because it is old growth and there is lots of room between the trees - kinda reminds me of Bennett Pass tree skiing (which I believe you are familiar with?).

I've skied Bennett Pass a few times, there and like most places on Hood I've learned to avoid anything below 4K... especially west of the crest. If I read your post correct it sounds similar in this area of Adams. If road access was available, I'd consider Sleeping Beauty or Steamboat. Old growth tree skiing is always a treat, and It would be nice to learn new terrain within reach of Portland.

I usually go up the east side of the lava flow when on AT gear.  Ski the lava flow and some of the old burn.  We've been touring on the skinny skis up there lately.  Usually they block access above snow king.

Reply to this TR

december-17-snowplow-mountain-mt-adams
pabloson
2011-12-17 08:41:02