Home > Trip Reports > Dec 8, 11, Tricouni Peak, SW Face

Dec 8, 11, Tricouni Peak, SW Face

12/8/11
Posted by Mtraslin on 12/12/11 12:06pm
Tircouni Peak SW Face

I heard through the grapevine you can climb this peak in two hours. Unfortunately you either need a sled
or a high clearance vehicle. Which I had neither. I sure underestimated this trip.

Driving up the Squamish valley, once the paved road ended I immediately was dragging my under carriage through
that centre lane of snow. We forged on past the other two wheel drive truck. We attempted the very first climb and got denied by gravity.

Just like the Blade Runner said "If it was easy everyone would be doing it."
The slog began with a walk then a skin on a logging roads. Good thing we had our light skis.

There was a maze of turnoffs with one skin track most of the way. To follow or not, sure follow the track and
waste an hour. Luckily it was good travel snow and we were motivated by the good weather. Night was fading fast
but we managed to skin up the glacier up a short chute and quick scramble up to the summit.

We skied down the SW face on wind affected snow with isolated pockets of descent snow. It was a hard day but we
were stoked to get into a new area and ski some spring snow in December.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hNr0g-0fAH0/TuQ5bMpiRFI/AAAAAAAAC_Q/-Bood7F382E/s800/IMG_2071.jpg?gl=CA" />

Skiers: Andy Traslin, Mike Traslin
Great trip Mike! That picture looking down on you is fantastic.

Thanks! Ryan.... These words were written by my brother (Andy).... I am not sure why it was posted with my name.... It is all good! Cheers!

Like Andy said he underestimated the trip....I think he thought the trip started where most people sled or drive (summer) to the main parking lot....

For me it was interesting (mentally taxing) because I knew it was going to be an almost 40km return day(40km pace?)... Andy under the assumption it would be about 20km(faster pace)... Interesting dynamic becuase he is younger taller and in better shape.... As a brother dynamic it worked out anyway, as he broke trail and pushed the pace as I just hung on,  we summited before dark....With just enough light to ski the face....

Reply to this TR

dec-8-11-tricouni-peak-sw-face
Mtraslin
2011-12-12 20:06:56