Home > Trip Reports > December 8/9, 2011, Mt. Herman Full(ish) moon ski

December 8/9, 2011, Mt. Herman Full(ish) moon ski

12/15/11
Posted by samthaman on 12/12/11 3:07am
Last thursday I headed up to Baker with my friends Tess and Brian to see about skiing under a full moon. An unexpectedly large inversion resulted in us skiing corny snow in ~40 degree windless weather. It was quite quite surreal, and made for some great photo-ops. We skied the usual chute that starts at the saddle near the top, and though it was totally tracked out before we got there, it was still a fun run by moonlight.

There are a few more photos on my own website here.
Diggin the night photos.  What kind of exposure time did you use? 

Great report! I never thought of doing this, but it is definitely in my to do list now.

Wonderful pictures,  they take moon light skiing to the next level, thanks for the post.

Inspiring on many levels!

author=trees4me link=topic=22746.msg97006#msg97006 date=1323723484]
Diggin the night photos.  What kind of exposure time did you use? 

Most of the exposures were around 30s to allow time for the skiers to move through the frame and leave light trails. Often that much time wasn't required to properly expose the photo though... plenty of light on a full moon night.

Glad you guys like the photos!

The photos are amazing!

The depth and stylisation reminds me of the ViewMaster I had as a child.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View-Master

Any chance you'll post high res versions? Those would be a treat.

Way cool.  Glad you found cornish snow - under the moon!  I still remember my first moon ski on St. Helens mabey 20yrs ago.  I try every winter full moon, and get clear skies maybe once every other winter.  I've given up finding powder pockets.

Pics were taken w/ a tripod?  Monopod?  The headlamp traces realy make the shots!

Thanks for sharing

Man, even in the dark you can tell Brian is tailgunning.

JH - I brought a tripod up that night, there was no way I could hand hold a camera for that long

Chimneyboy - HAHAHA

As for full-rez, I probably won't post them, both because they take up a ton of server space and slow down load times wherever they're poster, BUT, if anyone wants a full-rez version for a desktop background or whatever, I'd be happy to email one. PM me if interested. 

author=chmnyboy link=topic=22746.msg97032#msg97032 date=1323756064]
Man, even in the dark you can tell Brian is tailgunning.

Yeah, the long exposure shots didn't really do it justice though  ;)

Sam - looking forward to getting out on one of your "bad ideas" that is actually bad one of these days!

^^ got weekend plans? ;D

author=samthaman link=topic=22746.msg97042#msg97042 date=1323796508]
^^ got weekend plans? ;D

Haha, yes actually.  I'm taking the train home to Oregon for early Christmas with my parents.  I'll be skiing on Hood on Friday and maybe Saturday. 

Looks like bad ideas gone bad is going to have at least one more weekend  ;)

Reply to this TR

december-8-9-2011-mt-herman-full-ish-moon-ski
samthaman
2011-12-12 11:07:07