Home > Trip Reports > Dec 11, 2011, Hurricane Ridge

Dec 11, 2011, Hurricane Ridge

12/11/11
WA Olympics
Posted by Stormking on 12/11/11 11:05am
Went up with low expectations, just to get some exercise.  Turned out it was much better than expected with about 3-5 inches of very light and dry new snow on north facing slopes.  Obviously still hit the crust at times, but overall it was very skiable.  Moderate snowfall all day until dusk.  I skied Victoria overlook, but short vert is all there is before the trees are too thick.  Then migrated to North Bowl from the ridge of the ski area (east slope).  Better snow on my way out along the more northerly slope.  Skinning was tough due to poor adhesion new snow to old.

As I was leaving north wind was redepositing to S slopes.  If you can get up there tomorrow it should be worthwhile.

Dug a pit for giggles and got ECTN13, and CT 13.  Both test failed Q2 about 15cm deep on a layer of facets below a crust.  Facets were pretty pronounced-while sawing away they were flowing out like a bag of sugar, mostly under the old surface crust.  Bottom 20cm finger or harder.  85 total cm.  Need more snow.  Forgot my pencil and paper so relying on memory.
That's some good news; thanks for the report.

Thanks for the report.

Was up scouting last Wednesday and it was gorgeous above the clouds. The pitches looked actually reasonably well covered and quite inviting! Attached a shot of hurricane hill as sunset.

That's about what I encountered today on the NW side of the Hill and the remnants of some pretty big rollies resulting from the rain. The roads were treacherous today on the way down with once vehicle seen on it's side and another in the ditch.  See pics in rd. conditions area.

It's been almost completely clear above 3000 feet up there every day since the beginning of the inversion. Fortunately, that's coming to a close. The only powder I found was in sheltered tree zones and northern exposures. The rest is a mixed bag of breakable crust, corn,  ice, wind packed, thin cover over gravel etc. Skiinning the light dry was a challenge needing tender steps.  If it weren't for the ice layer turns would be effortless with a few more inches!

Reply to this TR

dec-11-2011-hurricane-ridge
Stormking
2011-12-11 19:05:01