Home > Trip Reports > February 5, 2005, Muir Snowfield

February 5, 2005, Muir Snowfield

2/5/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by eric on 2/5/05 10:07pm
Excellent conditions yesterday on the snowfield.  The conditions at Pan Point seem to have turned back most people, leaving the the snowfield to us, another group of two, and a group of three.  It's not hard to see why, though.  The wind was really howling and none of the new snow remained, making for a tricky skin and a couple boot sections.  But, it was well worth the effort.  Once up on the snowfield the wind died down to a light breeze and we found about 5" of slightly wind affected powder.  Just below Anvil Rock conditions changed to 2" of new over boilerplate, so along with the group of three we decided it was time to turn around.

Regular sun breaks made for good visibility on the run down and the turns were very nice.  Hopefully I can talk Eli into posting a pic.  
pictures:

http://community.webshots.com/user/emrosenb

Dang. I was among those turned back by the wind and the mirror crust on Pan Point (as well as the elongated drama of some very inexperienced snowshoers clownishly attempting the switchback up Pan Point. A lot of cotton and no gear made for a very unsettling scene. Hat's off to those who very generously and ably helped out  :)). The snow in the meadows was sweet, making up for the lack of slope angle. Next time I'll tough it out, though. It was great to be back on new snow!
Did you descend the Pan winter route?

Nice photos, thanks for sharing  :D  

It was great to be back on new snow!  

We pretty much booted down the summer trail around Pan Point.  Considering the conditions, this seemed the most reasonable option.

Reply to this TR

february-5-2005-muir-snowfield
eric
2005-02-06 06:07:55