Home > Trip Reports > December 7and8, 2011, Snoq Pass Skating pwdr pockets

December 7and8, 2011, Snoq Pass Skating pwdr pockets

12/15/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by jhamaker on 12/9/11 2:58am
Wed, Cabin Cr.  All but the hardest run was freshly groomed and set up.  The rd up to Amabilis looked groomed.  Great coverage w/ one dirt spot.

Thur, Hayak up Lost Cr. Rd towards Stampeed Pass.  Lost Lk. Rd a little icy but no snowmachine ruts.  Groomed to Lost Lk (resevoir) jnc. Good views of the resevoir from the rd running E along Lost Lk.  Lots of powder snow (4-8 inches) growing hoar in places not affected by sun, wind, or rain.  Snow soft and consistant enough to carve tele turns in w/ skate gear.

The groomers are getting bored.  I've never seen so many spur rds freshly groomed - even the rd just next to the Stampeed Pass Rd jnc w/ the Iron Horse Tr.  Great skating, a few ruts left by someone who skated the Iron Horse before the track had quite set up.

They have opened the snowparks by the Keechelus dam.
Thanks for the repot.  Good nordic trail reports are hard to find.

Susan and I skated Cabin Creek on Sunday. A few trivially avoidable brown patches in the snow. I'd never skated before - what a fabulous and humbling workout. To a neophyte, the grooming seemed quite nice, even late in the day. Headed back tomorrow morning before our ski rental expires.

It was fun to try something new to do before the pow returns. REI's $28 "one day" rental actually spans three days, and I imagine other vendors may do the same. So much more fun than an endless skinning shuffle on the flats ...

Reply to this TR

december-7and8-2011-snoq-pass-skating-pwdr-pockets
jhamaker
2011-12-09 10:58:26