Home > Trip Reports > February 5, 2005, Alpental

February 5, 2005, Alpental

2/5/05
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Paul Belitz on 2/5/05 1:36am
A foot of fresh powder over 3" of solid base made for surprisingly good skiing on what would normally be the groomed runs.

We ran into Mark@/mjt (is that correct?) and his friend Daniel. We had a great run down Sessel, despite the snow snake that grabbed my ski and put me in one of my more spectacular cartwheels. Guess going fast on baseless snow is a bad idea after all....but it was still great fun. I feel sorry for the shrubbery that I killed.

Hannah did great considering this was her fifth time on skis ever, and her first runs ever on wild snow. :)

More snow tonight should make for even better skiing tomorrow. Interesting to see how my standards have dropped since last year.

Here's a pic:

Hi Paul! I was good to meet you today! The snow sure was nice, even if the coverage was a little thin. Let's hope the snow keeps up! If you get a chance, I would love to see the video that you shot. I have a few pics that I'll post later too.

Have fun tomorrow, and I'll look forward to the TR. I'm now thinking dawn patrol on Monday if the snow keeps up, so if you're interested (or anyone else) send me some email.

Pictures:
In the skin track
Paul at the top of the Sessel lift
Mark in the fresh

A foot of fresh powder over 3" of solid base made for surprisingly good skiing on what would normally be the groomed runs.

We ran into Mark@/mjt (is that correct?) and his friend Daniel. We had a great run down Sessel, despite the snow snake that grabbed my ski and put me in one of my more spectacular cartwheels. Guess going fast on baseless snow is a bad idea after all....but it was still great fun. I feel sorry for the shrubbery that I killed.

Hannah did great considering this was her fifth time on skis ever, and her first runs ever on wild snow. :)

A fun day out at Alpental, and good to meet some other local skiers!  pbelitz went screaming past me at almost 300 mph before that cartwheel; it was something to see...

Wild snow is right - it was nice stuff, but the hidden branches, shubs and trees made it just a little tricky.  Good work skiing that as a beginner!

I use mark@ on telemarktips, but mjt here.  No idea why.

If you guys get me your emails, I'll send a link to the videos. "My username" @gmail.com.

I can't do dawn patrols; dusk patrols are an option if Alpental is skiable.  :)

First runs on wild snow?

;D

-L

Sidestepping doesn't count.  ;)

When did you drive in?
We were on our way to climb the Tooth but parked at Guye Hut (WAC) and hit Guye Pk because the rd was not plowed or traveled yet.  Were were up there at about 6:30.

I'm not sure when Paul and Hannah got there, but Mark, Sara and I arrived around 10:30. We had to push through deep snow to park and the Alpental/Snow Lake Trailhead lot, but it was drive able.

How the Guye? What route did you do? I was looking at that thinking of climbing options.

Corinne and I went up to Alpental on Sunday. Got over a foot of great unconsolidated powder on the upper bowl. Further down, still great snow, but a lot of navigation skills were required to avoid the rocks.
We were surprised to see how many people were at the parking lot - most people went up to snow lake -seems like everyone wants to get every bit of snow they can get :-)

Reply to this TR

february-5-2005-alpental
Paul Belitz
2005-02-05 09:36:15